This simple spiced walnuts recipe is so addicting!
I eat walnuts just about every single day. Generally, I eat regular walnuts but when there is a party coming up or guests are coming over, I like to cook up some spiced walnuts as a snack.
This recipe is for spiced walnuts that are sweet and spicy.
You won’t be able to eat just one so I suggest that you make up more than you think you need.
- These spiced walnuts can be served as a solo snack.
- Serve these spiced walnuts up on a charcuterie board. The spice will complement earthy cheese well.
- Chop the spicy walnuts and put them on top of a baked sweet potato.
- Serve the chopped walnuts on top of a hearty salad.
How To Make Spiced Walnuts?
Toast the walnuts – Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spread the walnuts out on a baking sheet with no sides.
Allow as much space between the walnuts as possible. Space allows the walnuts to roast instead of steam.
Bake them for 10 minutes.
Create the sauce – In a saucepan at medium heat, combine sugar, water, cinnamon, salt, mace, and ground red pepper to the pan.
Stir it thoroughly. Allow the mixture to cook until it reaches a temperature of 238 degrees.
A thermometer is important to this process. I didn’t have access to a candy thermometer so I just used my meat thermometer.
A candy one would work best though.
Coat the pan – While the mixture is heating up wipe down the pan that you baked the walnuts on. Then coat it with cooking spray.
Coat the walnuts – Once the sauce reaches 238 degrees remove it from the heat immediately. Add in the walnuts and stir.
The sauce will thicken quickly as it begins to cool. Stir quickly.
Check Out These Other Snacky Recipes
- How to Make Apple Chips in Air Fryer
- How to Make Kale Chips That Are Crispy
- How To Make Homemade Easy And Quick Nut Mixze Ginger
- How to Make Carrot Fries in an Air Fryer
Tips And Tricks To Make Spicy Walnuts
- The coating cools really quickly once you remove it from the heat. Be ready to coat the walnuts immediately. This makes timing very important because it takes about 8 – 10 minutes for the coating to get to the proper temperature. Our advice is to start the coating right before the nuts are ready to come out of the oven. This will allow for plenty of time.
- When you are making the sauce for these spicy walnuts you are going to be tempted to stir the sauce. I kept worrying that it was going to burn. Resist stirring it too much. Allow it to really cook.
- 1 c walnuts
- ½ c water
- 1/3 c sugar
- ½ t ground cinnamon
- ¼ t salt
- 1 dash cayenne
- ½ t mace
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread the walnuts into a single layer. Bake walnuts on a baking sheet for 10 minutes.
Make the sauce:
- In a saucepan over medium heat add the sugar, water, and spices.
- Allow the ingredients to melt. Do not stir the ingredients again until the temperature reaches 238 F.
- Immediately remove the sauce from the heat.
Coat the walnuts:
- Add the walnuts to the saucepan and stir.
- Spread the coated walnuts out on the baking pan and allow them to cool.