Do you want to know how to make kale chips? I did too, so I did a bit of experimenting.
When I first heard about people eating this snack called kale chips, I just knew that they were all crazy. Then I broke down and tried them and oh my gosh, they are so yummy. They are such a fantastic alternative to potato chips and other tasty but unhealthy snacks.
I love to just snack away on them but they are so darn expensive in the store. Have you priced a bag of kale chips? Ahem, they are pricey AND the bags are tiny. So I just knew that I had to create my own kale chip recipe
Making kale chips in the oven is so simple. You will love this recipe so much that you will be snacking on kale chips all the time.
- 2 c of kale
- 1 ½ T olive oil
- 1 T paprika
- 2 t garlic powder
- 2 t onion powder
- 1 t cumin
- 1 t salt
- PREP: Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place a silicone baking mat or parchment paper over a large baking sheet with sides.
- KALE: Wash kale and dry it completely. Add kale to a large bowl. Drizzle the kale with olive oil. Massage the kale with your fingers and make sure that each leaf is evenly coated. Add remaining ingredients and mix completely with your hands.
- PLACE ON PAN: Place kale on the pan in a single layer. Do not overcrowd the kale. If all of the kale doesn’t fit, just bake the chips in batches.
- Bake: Place pan in the pre-heated oven and bake for 5-6 minutes. Then rotate pan and bake for another 2-3 minutes. Remove kale from the oven when it is still green.
- Rest: After pulling the kale out of the oven allow it rest for 3 minutes. It will crisp up during this resting process.
When I first pulled these out of the oven I did not think that they were done. However, they really do crisp up as they cool. So don’t overcook them. I recommend that you test this recipe in small batches until you figure out the perfect cook time for your oven.
The kale needs to be completely dry before you start baking them. I recommend that you dry it with a paper towel and then allow the kale to sit out on the counter for about 20 minutes to finish air drying.
- Category: Snacks
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
How to store kale chips?
The key to storing kale chips to keep them in an airtight container. I like to put them in a baggie and squeeze all of the air out before zipping it shut.
How long do kale chips last?
Kale chips are best consumed the same day that they are baked. However, they will last about 5 days if stored properly in an airtight container.
How to bake crispy kale chips?
The key to making crispy kale chips to give them plenty of space in the pan. Do not overcrowd them. Then pull them out of the oven while they are still mostly green. Finally, allow them crisp up as they cool down.
Kale has become my favorite vegetable. Well, that is mostly true. For about 3 years I ate it so often that I actually got a bit sick of it. However, over the past few months it has found its way back into my fridge on a regular basis. Arugula is a close second these days but kale will always hold a special place in my heart. I hope that you make these kale chips and enjoy them as much as we did.