Caesar salad is a wonderful light salad to have out or at home. I just love the creamy dressing but I hate the idea of anchovies and that is why we created a caesar salad without anchovies or eggs.
An important key to this recipe is to refrigerate it prior to serving it. It dramatically changes the flavor. Make this about 2 hours in advance so that you have plenty of time.
What goes in a Caesar salad?
There are a few core ingredients that go into a Caesar salad. The main ingredient that makes Caesar is the dressing. Then it includes fresh romaine lettuce, croutons, and parmesan cheese.
It is a simple salad but getting that dressing right is what really matters here. It has to be the perfect mixture of creamy and tangy at the same time.
What goes in Caesar salad dressing?
Traditionally Caesar salad dressing includes eggs and anchovies, lemon, garlic, mustard, oil, and cream such as mayonnaise. We make our dressing egg and anchovy free.
How to make homemade Caesar salad dressing
With our recipe for Caesar salad dressing, you don’t need a blender. You just need a good mixing bowl and whisk. You do also need a bit of time. We recommend that you refrigerate this dressing 2 hours prior to serving it.
This dressing is so easy to make. You can make it in 10 minutes without a blender!
- First, we add lemon, mustard, Worcestershire, minced garlic, and vinegar in a large mixing bowl. Whisk until well blended.
- Then add in the mayonnaise and whisk until blended.
- Next, slowly add in the olive oil while whisking.
- Finally, fold in the parmesan cheese.
- Refrigerate the dressing for 2 hours.
Tips for making Caesar salad
Variations on the recipe
Are you wondering what else you can put on a Caesar salad to make it even more hearty? Well, the options are endless but here are a few of our suggestions
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 1/4 c grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup croutons
- fresh ground pepper
- ½ c olive oil
- ¼ c mayo
- ¼ c grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ t mustard
- 2 t lemon juice
- 2 t Worcestershire sauce
- 2 T red wine vinegar
- 1 t minced garlic
- Dash salt and pepper
To make the dressing:
- In a large mixing bowl add the lemon, mustard, Worcestershire, minced garlic, and vinegar. Whisk until well blended.
- Add the mayo to the mixture and whisk until blended.
- Slowly add in olive oil while continuously whisking. Continue to whisk until the mixture is thoroughly blended.
- Stir in cheese.
- Transfer the dressing to a container with a lid.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours prior to serving.
- Stir before serving.
To make the salad:
- Rinse and pat the romaine dry.
- Tear the romaine into bite-size pieces.
- Add the lettuce to a large serving bowl.
- Toss the lettuce with salad dressing. (Amount to taste)
- Add in croutons and cheese and toss the salad.
- Sprinkle crushed pepper on top.
- Serve and enjoy!