We never made our own pickled onions at home until we started ordering boxed meal kits. Now, we are a bit addicted to the flavor and have been experimenting with various methods for making them. We prefer the quick no heat required method shared below.
Pickled onions make many dishes extra delicious but we love them best on burgers and salmon burgers. We have a feeling that you will wind up keeping these stored in your fridge on an ongoing basis.
A few tips
- We traditionally use red onion for this recipe but you could also experiment with Vidalia sweet onions. While you can experiment with pickled white onions, we don’t recommend it.
- We like to mix the types of vinegar used in our recipe and prefer the combination of apple cider vinegar and red wine vinegar but if you don’t have one of those, don’t shy away from traditional plain vinegar. The combo of the vinegar and sugar is what makes this simple recipe shine.
- While we find thinly sliced onions to be the easiest version to serve you can experiment with chopped onion and thick onion slices as well. Mix it up and experiment with different ways of serving this.
- Add in additional spices such as pepper, allspice, or even peppercorns. The opportunities here are endless. We have experimented with garlic in the paste and frankly, it was yummy but a bit different. Have fun!
Check out these articles:
- So Good: Whole Grilled RealSweet Vidalia Onions Make Grown Men Cry!
- Different Types of Onions: How to Choose the Right Onion for the Job
- How to Store and Cut Green Onions
- 1 C thinly sliced red onion
- ½ t salt
- 4 T sugar
- ½ C water
- ¼ C Apple Cider Vinegar
- ¼ C red wine vinegar
- Cut the red onion into thin round slices.
- In a small bowl whisk together the water, both kinds of vinegar, sugar, and salt until sugar dissolves.
- Pour the mixture into a jar with a lid or into a glass container with a lid.
- Add in the onions and stir to coat.
- Cover and let it sit out at room temperature for 1-2 hours.
- Chill in the fridge until ready to serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 319Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1183mgCarbohydrates: 74gFiber: 3gSugar: 61gProtein: 3g