Are you in the mood for comfort food? This cheesy potato and bacon soup made with Velveeta cheese is just the answer.
This Velveeta soup is so creamy and cheesy and it even has bacon in it. This soup may quickly become your family favorite.
We are fans of hot and cold soups. Have you tried our sausage and potato soup? How about your avocado and cucumber soup?
What is Velveeta potato soup?
Velveeta potato soup is a cheesy soup that is made with a base of Velveeta cheese. Velveeta is a famous brand of processed cheese.
It has a very smooth and creamy texture. This creamy texture melts really well and the creaminess creates a great base for cheese soup.
This soup is made with Velveeta cheese, potatoes, carrots, and other vegetables. We also throw in shredded cheddar cheese for additional flavor and texture.
Tips for the perfect Velveeta potato soup
Can you reheat Velveeta cheese soup?
Yes, you can absolutely reheat this Velveeta cheese soup. The best way to reheat this soup is by spooning a serving into a microwave-safe bowl.
Then reheat it in the microwave in 1-minute increments. Stir in-between reheating sessions. Heat it until it has reached your desired temperature.
Do not overheat this soup. If you do, the cheese could separate.
This cheesy potato soup has a lot of variation potential. While we believe that we have an absolutely awesome recipe below, we have been known to switch it up from time to time. Here are just a few suggestions.
How to serve Velveeta cheese soup
We recommend only serving this soup hot. While this is a fantastic star dish at the dinner table, I do recommend serving it along with a sandwich or as a side to a casserole.
- Hot french bread. Toast up some hot french bread and top it with melted butter and garlic salt.
- Add bacon bits to the top of the soup.
- Garnish the soup with chives.
- Crack fresh ground pepper atop the soup right before serving it.
- 16 oz Velveeta or generic version
- ½ c cheddar cheese, freshly grated
- 7 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 pieces of cooked bacon, crumbled
- 4 green onion stalks
- 2 T butter
- 4 c milk
- 2 T chicken soup base
- Black pepper to taste
- Prep the vegetables - Wash and dry all of the vegetables. Peel and cube the potatoes. Peel and chop the carrots (shape is your choice.) Chop the celery. Dice the onion. Chop or scissor the green onion into small pieces.
- Cook the bacon until it is crispy. Then break it into small chunks.
- Place the potatoes and carrots in a large pot. Cover the veggies with water. Bring the water to a boil. Cook for 15 minutes or until the potatoes and carrots are just fork-tender. Don’t overcook.
- Set a skillet on medium heat. Add butter to hot skillet.
- Sauté the yellow onion and celery until soft. Set aside.
- Carefully ladle out and set aside 2 cups of vegetable water from pot. Then drain the potatoes and carrots into a colander over the sink. Add the vegetables back to the large pot.
- Add the 2 cups of vegetable water, celery and onion, chicken soup base, and milk to the pot.
- Set the burner to low. Simmer on low for 10 minutes.
- Add in the cheeses and allow to melt. Stir often.
- Once the cheese is melted, add in the crumbled bacon and chopped green onion. Stir in and continue cooking the soup on low for an additional 30 minutes. Stir often.
- Ladle into soup bowls and serve hot. Garnish with more green onion and black pepper as desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 0Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g