The best thing about cheese is that it has so many varieties that there is always something for everyone. Whether you prefer hard consistency or something creamier, you can have your fill with different types of cheeses.
I like most cheeses, so I always try new ones, and that’s how I discovered Velveeta cheese.
The creamy and soft texture of the cheese reeled me in right away. But what I love the most about Velveeta cheese is the clump-free texture that goes perfectly with all snacks.
Because I became obsessed with the cheese, I bought too much of it at once and worried about how to store it. Like many of you, I too wondered ‘can you freeze Velveeta cheese’?
It took a bit of research, but I eventually found the answer. If you want to know how you can freeze Velveeta cheese, keep reading. To be clear, yes you can freeze cheese.
Can You Freeze Velveeta Cheese?
The manufacturer, Kraft Foods, is against freezing Velveeta cheese. Company experts say that freezing it will form crystals in the cheese, which will give it a grainier texture. Apart from that, they also believe that freezing may change the flavor of the cheese.
However, that doesn’t mean it’s impossible to freeze it. If you have no other option than freezing Velveeta cheese, then here is how you can store it.
How to Freeze Velveeta Cheese
Velveeta cheese comes in blocks, so you can freeze it as is or cut it up. Either way is fine, but I like to cut the cheese before freezing it so that it’s easier to use once I thaw it.
After cutting the cheese in small pieces, I cover it with cling wrap. I do it thoroughly to make sure that it’s covered from all sides.
Next, I put the wrapped cheese in a freezer-safe container or plastic bag. Any of these will do. However, you need to squeeze out all the air from the bag before storing it in the freezer.
How to Thaw Frozen Velveeta Cheese
Thawing Velveeta cheese is as easy as freezing it. If you plan to use it the next day, just place the container in the refrigerator overnight. Next, unwrap the cheese and place it in the microwave for 5 minutes. This should be enough to get it back to the consistency you want and like. After this step, just chuck the cheese pieces into the dish that you are making. It will mix and blend in easily with the other ingredients.
A word of caution, though— NEVER, and I mean never, refreeze thawed Velveeta cheese. I learned this the hard way. Freezing thawed cheese will cause a mess and the cheese will lose the flavor too.
Ideas on How to Use Velveeta Cheese
I will list down a few recipes you can enjoy with Velveeta cheese.
- Bacon and cheese chowder is my favorite dish. I love eating it on those chilly days when all you want to do is snuggle in your bed. Chowder is my favorite food, but adding Velveeta cheese just takes it a notch higher.
- Chili Dip is a great party snack, so I make it for every party I throw. I love its spicy flavor and the creamy Velveeta cheese complements it perfectly.
- I always think that Mac and cheese reaches an all-time high when I use Velveeta cheese. I like to make it in bulk and then I get to enjoy it for a whole week, and the cheese gets right back to its creamy consistency once I heat the dish properly.
The Bottom Line
Hopefully, this comprehensive guide has answered your question, ‘can you freeze Velveeta cheese’. Now that you know everything there is to know about freezing Velveeta cheese, you can easily include the cheese in your daily menu.
With the list of ideas given above, you shouldn’t have a problem finding the right recipe for yourself. I was also a bit skeptical at first because I’m not a fan of processed cheese, so I didn’t know how the dishes would turn out, but I was pleasantly surprised.
Just give them a try and give your taste buds a joyride!
- Velveeta cheese
- Cling wrap
- Freezer-safe container or plastic bag
- Cut the cheese before freezing it so that it’s easier to use once you thaw it.
- After cutting the cheese in small pieces, cover it with cling wrap. Do it thoroughly to make sure that it’s covered from all sides.
- Next, wrap the cheese in a freezer-safe container or plastic bag.
- Squeeze out all the air from the bag before storing it in the freezer.
Never refreeze thawed Velveeta cheese. Freezing thawed cheese will cause a mess and the cheese will lose the flavor too.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 0Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g