We have really taken to roasting chicken in the oven for dinner. We love rotisserie chickens but sometimes it is just easier to bake a chicken in the oven than run to the store and them possibly be out of chicken.
In the recipe below we seasoned the roasted chicken with onion and garlic powder along with rosemary. We used butter but you could use olive oil if you prefer. We have cooked our chicken both ways and they turn out great either way. Our daughter has a sensitivity to dairy so if she is coming over for dinner we use olive oil.
Why use a roasting rack to roast chicken?
A roasting rack allows air to circulate all around the chicken. This process helps the chicken brown on all sides and it helps it cook evening.
If you don’t have a roasting rack you could place the chicken directly on the oven rack. Place a large baking pan with sides on the rack directly beneath the chicken. This pan must be larger than the chicken and it must have sides so that it can contain the juices. A tip is to put a row of veggies on this pan to absorb the juices as they drip. This will help keep the oven from smoking.
How to know when roasted chicken is done
The best way to know if a roasted chicken is done is to insert a meat thermometer deep into the breast or thigh of the chicken. If the temperature of the chicken is 165 degrees it is done.
If you don’t have a meat thermometer you can check if your chicken is done by piercing the skin of the chicken. If the juices dripping is clear with no signs of pink, cut the chicken. Verify that the chicken meat is fully white without signs of blood or deep pink.
Tips on roasting a chicken
- 1 whole chicken (3 lbs)
- 1 T onion powder
- 1 T garlic powder
- 1 T rosemary
- ½ cup butter (divided)
- 1 celery stalk
- 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prep the chicken and veggies – Remove the chicken giblets and parts. Wash the celery and cut off the leaves. Wash the lemon and cut it into 4 pieces.
- Season the chicken – Rub the chicken with butter and then the seasonings (onion powder, garlic powder, and rosemary.) Place celery, lemon pieces and remaining butter inside the chicken cavity.
- Place the chicken on a roasting pan with rack.
- Bake uncovered for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and baste with drippings.
- Cover the chicken with aluminum foil and allow it to rest for 30 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 293Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 96mgSodium: 158mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 21g
What to serve with roasted chicken?
We love a great main dish but sometimes the real star is the side dish. If nothing else, side dishes really do compliment a meal and make it even better. These are our favorite sides to serve with roasted chicken.