Chili dip is a fantastic appetizer to serve at your next event. It only contains 3 ingredients and you can cook it in 5 minutes in the microwave.
I am a real sucker for a great dip. Just this week we ordered and picked up chips, salsa, and queso dip from my favorite Mexican food restaurant.
This cheesy chili dip is one that is so simple to make that I forget about it sometimes. When planning a party I have a habit of over-complicating my menu. In truth though, people love the classics and they love cheese.
A lot of people tend to turn their nose up at Velveeta cheese when they are shopping but serve it to them at a party and suddenly they are reminiscing about their childhood and a sleepover.
My tip to you is to make more of this than you think people will eat. Then watch it disappear.
What is chili dip
Chili dip is a cheesy dip made with cheese, canned chili, and Rotel tomatoes. If you want to take the time you could use a homemade chili. We use Velveeta cheese in our chili dip. A delicious dip that only requires 3 ingredients is a real winner in our book.
Am I alone in thinking that there is something so comforting about eating chips and dip and binging a new tv show? Sure it is probably a bit better to share it with friends but…
I am just a real sucker for snack foods.
How to serve chili dip
When serving chili dip make sure that it is very hot. You will want to stir it often because the cheese will start to cool and form a cheesy film over the top. This isn’t a big deal and will go away once you stir the dip.
Consider serving the chili dip with:
- Tortilla chips
- Fresh cut veggies such as carrot sticks and celery.
- Pieces of cubed toasted french bread
- Crackers such as Triscuits or Ritz crackers
Recipe variations for Velveeta chili dip
While we keep this recipe simple there are all kinds of options for switching it up and adding additional ingredients. Here are a few suggestions that you should mix and match:
- Bacon - Cook up some crispy bacon and then break it into small pieces. Stir it in the chili dip right before serving.
- Ground beef - Cook up ground beef in the skillet. Break it into small pieces and thoroughly drain the fat. Then mix in the beef when cooking the dip in the microwave.
- Green chilis - Open and drain a can of green chilis. Add it in the bowl when you add the Rotel tomatoes.
- Cayenne pepper - Add a dash of cayenne pepper and stir into the dip.
- Cilantro - Roughly chop cilantro and sprinkle it over the top of the chili dip before serving.
- Red onion - Dice a small red onion and stir into the chili dip right before serving.
How to store chili dip
If you have leftover chili dip you can store in the fridge for up to 5 days. Allow the chili dip to come to room temperature before storing it. Transfer the leftover dip in an airtight container. Cover it with a lid or cling wrap.
Can you reheat chili dip
Yes, you can reheat chili dip. To reheat it transfer the serving size that you would like to reheat to a microwave-safe bowl. Place the bowl in the microwave and cover it with a paper towel. Reheat it in 1-minute increments and stir in between until it is fully melted.
- 16 oz Velveeta cheese
- 1 10 oz can Rotel tomatoes
- 1 15 oz can chili (without beans)
- Cut the Velveeta into small pieces.
- Add all ingredients to a large microwave-safe bowl. Stir.
- Place in the microwave and cover the bowl. Cook for 5 minutes on high. Stir every 2 minutes. Cook until the cheese is melted. (Cook times will vary depending on the microwave.)
- Serve with tortilla chips.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 190Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 45mgSodium: 960mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 0gSugar: 4gProtein: 11g