Did you forget to take chicken out of the freezer? No problem! This is a hearty hot dish that can be thrown together quickly. I pulled my chicken breast pieces straight out of the freezer because I had cut and prepped my chicken, placed them flat into baggies and then quickly froze them when I first brought the package home. This is heavy on leek/onion flavor and the soup adds a nice creaminess to the chewy rice.
Kale and Leek Rice Casserole with Chicken
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- 1 large boneless chicken breast, cut into thirds
- 1 c. Royal rice mix, any variety
- 1.5 c. chicken broth
- 1 can condensed cream soup (pictured used Cream of Mushroom)
- 2 leeks, greens only, cut into rings
- ½ cup chopped frozen kale
- 2 T. olive or vegetable oil
- ½ t. garlic powder
- ½ t. salt
- ½ t. cracked pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Except for chicken, combine all ingredients into an 8×8 glass casserole dish. Mix thoroughly.
- Slide the frozen chicken pieces into the rice goo, making sure the chicken is fully covered.
- Cover tightly with foil and place in the oven’s middle rack.
- After 45 minutes, pull out and let sit undisturbed for 15-20 minutes. The liquid should be fully absorbed. Uncover and spoon out a chicken portion with a large helping of rice.
- A quick side salad and a bowl of applesauce would complement this well.
- If using thawed or fresh chicken, increase temp to 375F, and cook for 30 minutes. Let sit undisturbed for 15-20 minutes.
- ALWAYS cut into the chicken to make sure there is no pink inside before eating it. Chicken should be cooked to an internal temperature of 165F. One of my top-10 kitchen gadgets that increased my confidence in the kitchen is a meat thermometer I won at a Christmas white elephant party. It’s a lot like this highly rated, moderately priced one, with the thermometer on a cord.
The Royal rice blends are meant to be eaten al dente, and this dish lives up to the chewy texture.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 337Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 33mgSodium: 1649mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 18g
Here Is Your Guide For How To Cook Basmati Rice
Easy Soju Cape Cod Cocktail: Just 3 Ingredients!
Cinnamon toast recipe: The grown-ups version
Lemon Vodka Cocktail
Creamy fruit salad recipe (The one you love)
How To Make Quick And Tasty Chicken Spinach Wraps
Air Fryer Radishes
Try This Super Simple Twice-Baked Potato Recipe
Rotisserie Chicken Salad Recipe (Fruity & Nutty)
Strawberry Banana Smoothie Recipe
Apple Rum Fizz Cocktail Recipe: Your New Fall Favorite!
Watergate salad recipe (The easier and super refreshing version!)