Are you curious about how to roast peanuts in the microwave?
Perhaps you find yourself in a situation where you have some raw peanuts and want to roast them but don’t want to fuss too much or spend too much time. If that is you then consider roasting peanuts in the microwave to keep things easy and fast.
We love to eat nuts. They are such a wonderful snack. If I am starving but busy (or feeling lazy), I will go into the kitchen and grab a handful of nuts to snack. My personal favorite is raw walnuts or spiced walnuts but others in the family love love love roasted peanuts.
Can peanuts be microwaved?
Yes, you can microwave peanuts. You can roast peanuts in the microwave in just a few minutes. The key factor is to shell the peanuts first and we do recommend that you skin the peanuts as well.
Can you eat raw peanuts?
Yes, you can absolutely eat raw peanuts. It is rare that folks in the US eat raw peanuts but it won’t hurt you one bit. They won’t have much flavor which is why people tend to roast them or boil them prior to eating them. However, next time you get the chance, give those raw peanuts a try and see if you like them.
How to skin peanuts
We have a few tips for how to remove the skin from peanuts. It isn’t required that you remove the skin of raw peanuts before you roast them but most people do prefer to do so.
- Step 1: Freeze your shelled raw peanuts. It is best if you put them in the freezer overnight.
- Step 2: Remove a cup of the frozen peanuts from the freezer and lay them in a large handtowel.
- Step 3: Rub the peanuts together in the towel. Be vigorous but not violent. Rub them for about a minute.
- Step 4: Unfold the towel and remove the shelled peanuts. If some of the peanuts still have their shells, fold the towel back up and rub them again.
- Step 5: Continue this process until the peanuts have been skinned. Work in small batches.
What kind of peanuts are best to roast?
It is better to roast the freshest peanuts that you can get your hands on. Consider buying raw peanuts in the shell and then shelling them yourself to get the freshest flavor. You can roast any type of raw peanut that you find. If it has skin on, you will most likely decide to remove the skin first.
What spices are good for roasted peanuts?
You can spice roasted peanuts in any way that you would like. Don’t feel shy about experimenting with various flavors. The most popular spice for roasted peanuts is just salt. After that people love honey roasted peanuts.
How to roast peanuts in the microwave
Roasting peanuts in the microwave is a fast and simple way to roast peanuts. This is an overview of how to roast the peanuts and the instructions with measurements is listed below in the recipe card.
Step 1: The first thing that you need to do is shell the peanuts and remove the skins. Removing the skins is a bit challenging but our best tip is to work in small batches.
Place the peanuts in a hand towel, close the towel and rub the peanuts around in the towel. Discard the skins in the trash and repeat the process. We recommend working in small batches of about ½ cup at a time.
Step 2: Put the raw nuts in a flat glass microwave-safe dish. We find this easier with a dish that has low sides. Pour the water over the peanuts and stir them around to make sure that they are all moist.
Step 3: Cook the peanuts on high for 2 minutes. Stir the peanuts. Cook them for another 2 minutes.
Step 4: Remove the peanuts from the dish and spread them out on a cooling rack or a piece of tin foil on the counter. Be sure to spread the peanuts out so that there is plenty of space and that they are not touching one another.
Step 5: Sprinkle the peanuts with your seasoning of choice while they are hot. Stir the peanuts around to coat and then spread them out again.
Step 6: Allow the peanuts to cool completely. Note that the peanuts may not appear crunchy at first but they should become crunchy after they cool.
- 1 c raw peanuts
- ½ t salt
- 2 T Water
- Shell and remove the peanut skins.
- Place the peanuts in a microwave-safe glass dish. Drizzle the water over the peanuts. Stir the peanuts around until all of them are moistened.
- Place the peanuts in the microwave and cook on high for 2 minutes.
- Carefully remove the peanuts from the microwave and stir them. (Be sure to use an oven mitt because the dish will be hot.)
- Place the peanuts back in the microwave and cook on high for 2 minutes.
- Remove the peanuts carefully and spread them out on a pan to allow them to cool. (Be sure to spread them out so that they are not bunched up together.)
- Sprinkle the peanuts with salt.
- Allow them to cool to room temperature.
Experiment with seasoning the peanuts with various seasonings. We tend to use table salt but consider using coarse sea salt or garlic powder. Experiment with different flavors.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 828Total Fat: 72gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 58gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1190mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 12gSugar: 7gProtein: 38g
Tips and tricks
- Shelling peanuts and removing the skin takes time and can be a bit annoying. If you can find raw peanuts without the skins at a farmers market or the store, I recommend that you get them. Spend your time experimenting with flavors instead of this step if you can.
- 1 pound of unshelled peanuts equals about ¾ pound of shelled peanuts or about 3 ½ cups.
- The peanuts may not seem crunchy when you first remove them from the microwave but they will be after they cool to room temperature.
- Microwave times will vary so you may need to cook your peanuts a bit longer. Continue to check the nuts to see if they are still pale or if they appear darker in color and roasted.
- Be sure to stir the peanuts during the cooking process. It is tempting to skip this step but it is crucial to make sure that they cook evenly.