Making cheese toast in the oven is easy to do. Here’s how to make cheese toast in the oven! Follow our simple steps to the perfect snack with only 10 minutes and three ingredients.
It is also a tasty afternoon snack or lunch that’s cheaper and better for you than eating out. 🍞
Imagine golden-brown, crisp slices of bread oozing with melty, warm cheese in every bite. Like an open-faced grilled cheese. That is how easy cheese toast should be, and the conventional oven will allow you to heat up several pieces of cheese toast at once.
🍞What kind of bread to use for cheese toast in the oven
I love to make cheese toast on sliced plain white bread, like Sunbeam or Mrs. Baird’s. It is my favorite because it toasts up consistently, and I always know how it will turn out. However, using your favorite bread is the best answer to this question.
- Ciabatta bread is a fantastic bread for cheese toast. It has large air pockets and a chewy texture. It will toast up to a crisp crust but the inside stays chewy and soft.
- Brioche is another excellent bread for cheese toast. It is buttery and rich and has a slightly sweet taste to it. It won’t be too dry when you toast it but will have a little crunch. When you melt cheese on it, it will taste so good.
- French bread freshly slices are a classic option for cheese toast. The edges of the bread will toast perfectly, and it is hearty enough to handle loads of cheese and any other extra toppings you put on it.
🧀What kind of cheese to use for cheese toast
My favorite cheese for cheese toast is mild cheddar cheese, and that’s what we are using in the kitchen today: a block of Kroger brand Mild Cheddar, sliced about ⅛-inch thick; and Tillamook Farm Style Fine Cut Mild Cheddar.
Freshly grated cheese melts better than pre-packaged grated cheese. However, if I am in a hurry, I will use the grated cheese from a package, and of course, it’s all good—it’s still cheese.
The critical thing to consider when picking cheese for cheese toast is to make sure that the cheese is a melting cheese. Don’t pick a hard cheese (like asiago) for cheese toast because it won’t melt properly. It will still be tasty but won’t have that super melty quality.
Top 6 best kinds of cheese for cheese toast
- Cheddar cheese
- Gouda cheese
- Swiss cheese
- Mozzarella cheese
- Fontina cheese
- Muenster cheese
🧀How much cheese for cheese toast
As a general rule, use ¼ cup of cheese per slice of cheese toast. That said, the amount you use will vary depending on the size and thickness of your bread.
✅Why this is a great recipe
- The beauty of baking several pieces of cheese toast at once is no one has to wait to get theirs. Remember not to stack the toast—you want the toast to be in a single layer flat on the baking sheet.
- Cheese toast is super easy to make, and you could even teach family members to make it as a snack if they get hungry.
- It makes for a filling snack or even a simple lunch.
- You may already have the simple kitchen ingredients you need now.
🍞 Bread. I used plain white bread for my cheese toast. However, you can use any type of bread that you prefer, such as French loaf or Ciabatta.
🧈 Butter. The butter adds to the flavor, helps hold the cheese in place, and helps make the bread crispy. Softening the butter before spreading it on the bread is an important tip.
🧀 Cheese. When it comes to making cheese toast, I always reach for sharp cheddar cheese but you can use any melting cheese that you like. You can also mix and max cheeses to enhance the flavor.
🤔What else can you add to cheese toast?
You can make your cheese toast gourmet by just adding your favorite ingredients that you may have in the fridge already. For example, dice up some fresh avocado and put avocado chunks on it. Consider adding minced garlic to the butter before spreading it on the toast.
- Cooked bacon slices
- Diced ham
- Sliced tomatoes
- Pickled jalapeno slices
- Fried egg
- Pepperoni slices
- Slices of lunchmeat
The bottom line
This simple recipe lets you make the best crisp, melty open-faced cheese toast in the air fryer. Top with anything you like and let it heat up with the cheese, or garnish with fresh vegetables right before serving. Yum!
- 4 slices of bread
- 4 t softened butter
- 1 c shredded cheese, divided OR block of mild cheddar, sliced
- Soften the butter so that it’s easily spreadable.
- Line the baking sheet with foil.
- Place the bread slices in the tray or basket in one layer, and put in the air fryer for 3 minutes at 375F.
- Then flip the bread over with tongs or a fork; spread 1 t of butter on the “soft” side of each slice of bread.
- Spread ¼ cup of cheese evenly on top of each slice of bread.
- Place back in the air fryer cheese-side up at 375F for 3 to 5 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.
- Use a spatula to remove the cheese toast to a plate.
- Serve warm.