Want to take your love of chickpeas to another level? Then learn how to roast chickpeas!
If I’m being totally honest with you, I just don’t like the flavor of plain-old chickpeas on their own, which is why I never really cared for these garbanzo beans. I only ever liked the idea of having chickpeas in one way – in my hummus! However, once I learned that I can actually roast these tiny peas and change their flavor completely, my life took a turn for the better. Now, my whole family and I simply can’t resist roasting the delightful chickpeas and having them once every week. It has become a sort of a family ritual for us!
With that said, roasting chickpeas can be a bit of a tricky task. Initially, my chickpeas would always turn out to be too soggy, when I really wanted them to be crispy. However, through trial and error, I was able to figure out the best-roasted chickpeas recipe.
Read on to find out the best-toasted chickpeas recipe!
How to Roast Chickpeas
You can prepare roasted chickpeas in an oven. It will hardly take 30 to 35 minutes from your morning and you’ll have prepared delicious oven-roasted chickpeas before your kids even wake up! Here’s how you can prepare roasted chickpeas:
Things You Will Need
✔ Check it out: Review of our favorite olive oil mister
- Put the chickpeas in a large bowl and cover them with two inches of water. Let the chickpeas soak in the water overnight.
- The next morning, drain the peas and make sure to thoroughly pat them dry with a paper towel so that there’s no moisture left.
- Use a paper towel to line your baking sheet.
- Place the chickpeas on the baking sheet and use some more paper towels to pat them dry.
- Mist the chickpeas with some spray oil or drizzle a tiny amount of olive oil on the chickpeas.
- Give some flavor to the chickpeas with your favorite spices (I prefer to keep it simple and add only salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper) to the chickpeas.
- Make sure to gently shake the baking sheet until all the chickpeas are nicely coated with the spices.
- Place the baking sheet in your oven, without preheating it.
- Set your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and let the chickpeas roast for about 25 to 30 minutes. Make sure to shake the sheet once after 10 to 15 minutes to ensure that they don’t burn.
- When the timer goes off, make sure to turn the oven off, stir the chickpeas once more, and put them back in the oven for about 3 to 4 hours.
- After the required time has elapsed, take the chickpeas out of the oven and let them cool completely before putting them in an airtight storage container.
Pro Tip: Depending on your oven’s heating ability, you might need to adjust the roasting time. So, make sure to start with 25 minutes of roasting time and increase the time if it’s not enough to turn the chickpeas into the crispy snack that you deserve!
Tips for Making the Best Roasted Chickpeas
When roasting chickpeas, there are a few tips that you should definitely keep in mind. So, are you ready to learn the secret tips that can help you prepare perfectly crispy roasted chickpeas every single time? Well, here they are:
How to Use Roasted Chickpeas
You can devour roasted chickpeas as is, as a crunchy snack, or add them to various dishes. You can add them to your tacos to enhance their crunchiness or salads for a refreshing kick of flavors. You can also throw them in a freshly-prepared bowl of butternut squash or tomato soup and in delicious homemade hummus. Lastly, you can even make a healthy and delicious batch of confetti quinoa and lettuce wraps with them!
How Do You Make Crunchy Roasted Chickpeas?
Rinsing and drying the chickpeas is the most vital part of making crispy and crunchy roasted chickpeas. Rinsing them gets rid of the sodium in them and drying them allows them to become super crispy. Moreover, if you want to prepare chickpeas in the oven, make sure to go easy on the oil; otherwise, you’ll end up with soggy chickpeas. Also, if you want them to be extra crunchy, increase the roasting time for chickpeas from 30 minutes to 40 minutes. Just make sure to stir them every 10 minutes to avoid the risk of burning them.
How Long Do Roasted Chickpeas Last?
Although chickpeas taste the best, crunchiest, and most scrumptious straight out of the oven, you can make a big batch of them and devour them over the next few days. However, make sure to store them in an airtight container so that they retain their crunchiness. Just make sure to eat them all within 2 weeks as the longer you store them, the less crispy they will become.
Pro Tip: Make sure that you don’t use plastic bags to store your chickpeas as the moisture in the bag will ruin their crunchiness.
Can I Roast Canned Chickpeas?
You can easily roast canned chickpeas; in fact, roasting canned chickpeas is more convenient than roasting raw ones. This is because you don’t need to soak them in water overnight before roasting them. With that said, in my experience, canned chickpeas aren’t as crispy when roasted as compared to raw chickpeas. However, if you are in a time crunch and want to serve roasted chickpeas in an hour or two, then canned chickpeas will be your best friend.
Pro Tip: One can of chickpeas makes about 1 ½ cups of delicious crunchy chickpeas. So, if you resort to using canned chickpeas, then adjust the serving size accordingly.
Crunchy Roasted Chickpeas Ingredients
Here are the ingredients needed to prepare crunchy roasted chickpeas:
The Bottom Line
I hope this article has answered your question, “How do I roast chickpeas?” Make sure to rinse and dry chickpeas before roasting them in your oven. Add your favorite spices and a hint of oil to the chickpeas and roast them for 30 minutes. Have crispy roasted chickpeas as is or add them to various dishes.