The best part about homemade hummus is that you can add in spices and flavors to suit your taste buds.
It is so easy to make.
Our family loves hummus and veggies, we also love chocolate hummus. There is a local Greek restaurant that we frequent.
Everyone orders a double helping of hummus on their plate. Freshly made hummus is so delicious and never last long in our house. I am more of a fan of chocolate hummus, but this recipe is a big hit in our home.
I hope that you love it too.
Now, if you want hummus without that spicy kick, leave out the cayenne pepper. It will be creamy and delicious, but not too hot.
A trick to make hummus extra creamy is to remove the skin from the garbanzo beans. In this article, we provide a step-by-step method for how to do this easily.
When making hummus at home, feel free to experiment with the ingredients. If you aren’t a huge fan of garlic, you can start by just adding one clove.
Taste it and then add more as desired.
We suggest using the juice of two lemons in our recipe, but some people find that to be too much lemon.
We like a tart, but if you prefer a less tart flavor, start by adding the juice of one lemon.
With hummus, you truly can taste and adjust.
Just remember that it is easier to add ingredients than it is to reduce the flavor of an element already inserted.
What is hummus made of?
Traditionally hummus is made of chickpeas (garbanzo beans), tahini, lemon juice, salt, and spices. Our hummus recipe also includes garlic, cayenne pepper, olive oil, and paprika.
How to make creamy hummus?
A trick to creamy hummus is to remove the skins from the chickpeas before making the hummus. People often skip this step because it is time-consuming.
However, if you take the time for this step, your hummus will have a smoother texture and taste even better.
How to remove the skin from chickpeas?
Since removing the skin from chickpeas makes hummus creamy, we need an easy way to do it.
Here are the steps to remove the skin from canned chickpeas.
- Drain and rinse the canned chickpeas.
- Place the peas in a large microwave-safe bowl.
- Add 1 ½ teaspoon of baking soda and stir to mix.
- Heat the peas in the microwave for 2 minutes.
- Allow the peas to cool.
- Fill the bowl ½ way with cold tap water.
- Using your hands gently agitate the beans.
- Strain the peas and then add more water and agitate them again.
- Repeat this process three times.
Do you need to cook chickpeas for hummus?
If you are using canned chickpeas to make homemade hummus, you don’t need to cook them. Canned chickpeas have already been cooked before the canning process.
However, we do recommend that you rinse them thoroughly and remove the skins before making hummus.
How long does hummus last?
Homemade hummus will last about 4 or 5 days in the fridge. Hummus made at home doesn’t contain the preservatives that store-bought hummus does.
The key to keeping homemade hummus fresh by keeping it cold. After making it store it in the fridge and only remove small portions at a time as you are ready to eat it.
So spoon out the desired amount of hummus to a small bowl and return the cold hummus to the fridge.
- 2 15 oz cans garbanzo beans
- 1 ½ t baking soda
- 3 T tahini
- 2 lemons
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 T olive oil (divided)
- ¼ t dried oregano
- ½ t Paprika
- ½ t cayenne pepper
- ¼ t salt
- Pepper to taste
- Prepare the beans – Open the can of beans, drain and rinse them. Reserve ½ can of bean juice for later use. Remove the skin from the beans.
- Juice the lemons.
- Add lemon juice and tahini to the food processor or blender. Mix for 1 minute. Scrape the sides.
- Add 1 T olive oil, garlic, oregano, paprika, and cayenne ¼ of reserved bean juice. Mix until creamy and smooth. Stop to scrape sides occasionally. (Add more liquid to reach desired creaminess.)
- Spoon hummus onto a serving plate.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Drizzle last tablespoon of olive oil on top of hummus.
- Garnish as desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 15 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 132Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 171mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 5gSugar: 3gProtein: 6g