Are you curious if it is ok to cook hot dogs in the microwave? Yes, it is absolutely ok but you should follow a few simple steps to cook a hot dog in the microwave perfectly.
My favorite way to cook a hot dog is on the grill but sometimes we just don’t have time to do that. Sometimes we are in the middle of our workday and just have a craving for a hot dog loaded with mustard, relish, and diced onions.
What do you eat on your hot dog? Are you the ketchup kind of hot dog eater?
Microwaved hot dogs get a bad rap but let’s face it, it is a fast easy way to cook them. In reality when you “cook” a hot dog all that you are doing is warming it up.
Did you know that hot dogs are already cooked when you buy them at the store?
So if you are curious how to best cook a hot dog in the microwave keep reading.
Can you eat raw hot dogs?
Yes, you can eat raw hot dogs. You can totally skip the heating process and just eat the hot dog right out of the package. Hot dogs that you get at the grocery store come precooked. Be sure to read the packaging just to be on the safe side though.
Is it ok to microwave hot dogs?
Yes, it is perfectly fine to microwave hot dogs. Since they come fully cooked you are only trying to warm them up. Be careful not to overheat the hot dog because it may explode and create a mess. Microwaving a hot dog is super simple to do and only requires about 30 seconds of cook time.
How do you cook hot dogs in the microwave with water?
You can cook hot gods in the microwave with water. This is essentially boiling the hot dogs in hot water in the microwave. This is not the method that we personally use but it does have its merits.
- Step 1: In a microwave-safe bowl add a hot dog and cover it completely with water.
- Step 2: Place the bowl in the microwave and cook on high for 1 minute and 30 seconds.
- Step 3: Using tongs, remove the hot dog from the water and check the temperature. If it is fully warmed to your satisfaction you are ready to.
- Step 4: If the hot dog isn’t heated completely return the hot dog to the bowl of water. Then heat for an additional 45 seconds.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 until your hot dog is thoroughly warmed.
We recommend caution when using this method. The bowl of water will be extremely hot. When moving the bowl too and from the microwave use oven mitts and be careful not to burn yourself.
How long should I microwave hot dogs?
It doesn’t take long to microwave hot dogs at all. Depending on the microwave it should only take about 30 to 40 seconds to warm it thoroughly. If you are cooking more than one hot dog at a time, it will take longer. Microwave the hot dogs in 30-second intervals and then check for the desired temperature.
Can you microwave frozen hot dogs?
Before you microwave frozen hot dogs you need to defrost them first. You can defrost the hot dogs using your defrost setting on the microwave. If you prefer not to do that, place the hot dogs in a bowl of cool water. They should defrost in about one hour in this bowl of water. This is our preferred method for defrosting hot dogs. Once your hot dog is fully defrosted you can then cook it in the microwave.
How to microwave hot dogs
Step 1: This is an optional step but we recommend it. Pierce the hot dog with the tip of a knife or a fork. Pierce it once on each end and again in the middle.
Doing this allows the built-up steam to escape from the hot dog. If you don’t do this your hot dog may explode in the microwave and we don’t want that. Some recommend against this step because they say that the hot dog juices will run out and your hot dog will be dry. This is not our experience though.
Step 2: Wrap the hot dog in a paper towel and place it on a microwave-safe plate.
Wrapping the hot dog in a paper towel keeps the hot dog moist as it heats up. This step helps keep the hot dog nice and juicy.
- Step 3: Set your microwave to a high-temperature setting and cook the hot dog for 30 seconds. Check to make sure that the hot dog is thoroughly warmed. If it isn’t continue to cook it in 10-second intervals until it has reached your desired temperature.
- Step 4: Carefully remove the hot dog from microwave and unwrap it. It will be steaming hot so be careful.
How to heat up a hot dog bun in the microwave
Microwaving bread of any type can be tricky but it isn’t impossible. You just need to be extremely careful so that you don’t wind up with soggy hot dog buns. Don’t microwave the hot dog and the hot dog bun at the same time.
- Step 1: Open the hot dog bun and put it face down on a paper towel. Wrap the towel around the bun and place it on a microwave-safe plate.
- Step 2: Microwave it on high for 10 seconds. Check to see if the bun is warmed through. If it isn’t warmed through, microwave it for an additional 5 seconds.
How long do cooked hot dogs last in the fridge?
If you recently cooked up a batch of hot dogs are wondering how long cooked hot dogs last in the fridge, the answer is 3-5 days. The trick to making sure that hot dogs last in the fridge is to store them in an airtight container.
How to reheat leftover hot dogs?
If you want to reheat leftover hot dogs you can quickly and easily do that in the microwave. We recommend that you reheat the hot dog bun and the hot dog separately.
First, wrap the hot dogs one at a time in a moist paper towel. Then reheat it on high in the microwave for 25 seconds.
Second, wrap the hot dog bun in a moist paper towel. Then reheat it on high in the microwave for 10 seconds.
How to revive a stale hot dog bun?
If you have a stale hot dog bun but it isn’t moldy there is hope. Perhaps it just got exposed to a bit too much air and got dried out. Try wrapping the hot dog bun in a wet paper towel. Then microwave the bun for 15 seconds.
This is a recipe for how to cook a hot dog in the microwave and how to warm up a hot dog bun in the microwave.
- 1 hot dog
- 1 hot dog bun
- Wet a paper towel and squeeze out any excess moisture. You want it wet but not dripping.
- Wrap the hot dog in the wet paper towel.
- Place the hot dog on the microwave-safe plate and place it in the microwave.
- Heat the hot dog on high for 30 seconds.
- Remove the hot dog and carefully unwrap it. Be careful not to burn yourself because they may be hot steam. Check to see if the hot dog is hot through and through.
- If a hot dog isn’t quite ready, wrap it back up and heat up for another 10 seconds in intervals until it is done.
- Leave the hot dog wrapped in the paper towel and set aside. Cover it with a lid to keep it warm.
- Wet another paper towel and wrap the hot dog bun in it.
- Place the hot dog bun on a microwave-safe plate and place it in the microwave.
- Heat the bun for 10 seconds.
- Remove the bun and unwrap it and unwrap the hot dog.
- Put the hot dog in the bun and add your favorite toppings.
This process requires that you have wet paper towels and a microwave-safe plate.
- Category: Microwave
- Method: Microwave
- Cuisine: American
Now that you know how to perfectly cook a hot dog in the microwave, your only next question is what to eat with the hot dog. Here are some of our favorite sides for hot dogs.