This salad is one of the most unusual things that we have ever made. When I say ever, I mean my entire adult life ever. You truly MUST try this and let us know what you think.
We made it for a group of about 10 people and everyone had extreme reactions. They either loved it or hated it. No one quite knew what to do with it besides keep eating it. In the end, we all agreed that it would be wonderful alongside a piece of light fish.
- 2 cups of cooked long grain rice
- 2 Tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons of orange juice
- 1 Tablespoon of vinegar
- 2 teaspoons of minced shallots
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of pepper
- 1 cup of chopped fresh peach
- ¾ cup of fresh blueberries
- ¾ cup of fresh strawberries
- 1 T of butter
- 3 Tablespoons of toasted almonds
- Follow instructions on the package for cooking rice. Check out our article on how to cook rice perfectly. Allow the rice to cool before tossing it with the other ingredients.
- Heat a small skillet and add butter once the skillet is hot. Add almonds to melted butter and spread them out in the pan. Allow almonds to toast for 1 minute and then stir. Continue to stir almonds until they are golden on both sides. This process shouldn’t take more than 3 minutes.
Prepare the fruit:
- Wash all of the fruit and dry. Cut strawberries and peaches into ½” chunks. Use this time to also mince the shallots.
Create the sauce:
- Combine the olive oil, orange juice, vinegar, shallots, salt and pepper in a large glass bowl. Stir everything to mix thoroughly.
Toss all ingredients:
- Add the rice, almonds, and fruit to the bowl with the sauce. Toss everything until the ingredients are completely mixed.
- You can serve this right away or chill it in the fridge. We preferred it chilled.
- Serving Size: 4 servings
After you have made this fruit salad, please let us know what you think. I (Renee’) personally loved it and kept going back for more. I am seriously considering making it again this week to have it as an afternoon snack. Andi didn’t love it and would be happy to never have it again.