Baked sweet potato fries that everyone will beg for
Baked sweet potato fries are honestly a new addition to our cooking repertoire. I don’t know how I went through so much of my life without ever cooking these. When they suddenly started popping up in restaurants I couldn’t get enough of them.
Cooking and serving sweet potato fries always feels like such a treat. The best part is that they really cook up nicely in the oven. The trick to getting the fries to crisp up is to make sure that they are not crowded on the baking dish. Overcrowded fries steam instead of crisp.
How to make sweet potato fries from scratch?
Making sweet potato fries from scratch is so simple that you may find it to be one of your favorite side dishes. Start off by peeling the sweet potatoes. Then cut the sweet potato into thin ¼” thick slices in the shape of a french fry.
Next, toss the fries with olive oil and seasoning being sure to only lightly coat the potatoes. Finally, spread the potatoes out on a lined baking sheet with plenty of space between them.
Bake them for 30 minutes in the preheated oven at 400 degrees. Be sure to stir them halfway through cooking.
Do you have to peel sweet potato fries?
You don’t have to peel the sweet potatoes when making sweet potato fries. However, the skin of sweet potatoes is often tough and that will change the texture of the fries. Peeled sweet potato fries tend to crisp up better. Experiment with both methods and see which one you prefer. However, do be sure to thoroughly wash your potatoes prior to baking.
A few tips:
- Slice the fries as thin as possible. The thinner that they are the crispier that they will be.
- Turning the fries during the baking process also helps them cook evenly and crisp up. In the recipe, we only say that you “must” flip them once but I will often do it twice when I am cooking them.
- Be creative with your seasonings. The recipe that we use is very simple and savory but you can sweeten them up by adding cinnamon or allspice even. Consider adding garlic to the mix too. The options are endless but do be careful not to mix too many flavors at once.
- Use two pans if needed. It can be tempting to try and squeeze all of the sweet potato fries into one pan but that extra space between each fry really makes all of the difference.
Baked sweet potato fries are easy to make and only require, oil, sea salt, and paprika.
- 3 sweet potatoes
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 t sea salt
- ½ t paprika
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash and dry the potatoes. Peel and slice the potatoes into ¼” thick slices.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss the potatoes with olive oil, salt, and paprika. Don’t oversaturate the potatoes with olive oil.
- Spread the potatoes out on the prepared baking sheet. Don’t let the potatoes touch. If the potatoes are touching they will steam instead of crisping. (Note that depending on the size of your baking sheet it may be best to use two baking sheets. )
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Use a spatula and flip the potatoes. Be sure to spread them back out again.
- Bake for another 10 minutes or until potatoes are fully cooked and are starting to brown and crisp.
- Remove them from the oven and allow the potatoes to cool for minutes before serving.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American