This recipe is one that I have been excited about for a while.
We try and go as low carb as possible.
Also, Andi does all that she can to be gluten-free.
That is why we wanted to experiment with how to make gluten-free Asian meatballs.
This experiment was quite a success.
These turkey meatballs were insanely yummy.
I can legit tell you that I haven’t had anything quite this delicious in the house in quite a while.
Now with all of that said, I did goof a bit on this recipe.
Apparently, it is the week of kitchen mishaps for me.
I recently had a series of kitchen mistakes when making my chocolate macaroon cookies.
It was late in the day when I started making these meatballs.
Honestly, it had been a long day at that point.
I had spent most of the day experimenting with homemade plum sauce for this recipe.
Anyways, I was adding in all of the ingredients to create the meatballs and I accidentally added in some plum sauce too.
I got carried away!
See below how I fixed it.
What Is A Good Breadcrumb Alternative?
A gluten-free and keto-friendly breadcrumb alternative is plain crushed pork rinds.
The best way to crush them is to put them in a baggie and smash them with a rolling pin.
You Make Also Like These Tips:
Advanced Text Block
Qubely blocks is added to the Gutenberg editor as soon as you install the plugin. You can start using it as any other Gutenberg block. Add ready blocks using the plus sign where you’ll find a new section of blocks under the Qubely icon.
- 1 pound of turkey breast, ground
- 1/4 cup of red onion, finely chopped
- ½ red bell pepper, finely chopped
- ¼ cup of crushed pork rinds
- 2 eggs
- ¾ teaspoon of garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons of olive oil
- ½ cup of heated plum sauce
- 3 scallions, finely sliced
- Crush pork rinds - Add pork rinds to a plastic baggie. Use a rolling pin to crush the pork rinds.
- Chop onion and bell pepper - Wash and deseed the red bell pepper. Cut half of the bell pepper into very fine diced chunks. Wash and dry the red onion. Cut ¼ of the onion and finely dice it into small chunks.
- Slice scallions - Wash and dry the scallions. Finely slice scallions. Set aside ⅓ of scallions for garnish.
- Create the meatballs - Add ground turkey, red onion, red bell pepper, pork, eggs, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper into a large bowl, except for ⅓ of the scallions. Use your hands and mix all of the ingredients together until well blended. Gather the mixture in your hands and roll into about 18 evenly sized meatballs.
- Cook meatballs - Heat olive oil in a large skillet set to medium-high temperature. Add meatballs and cook for 3 minutes per side. Allow them to cook without moving so that they can brown on each side. Cook for about 15 minutes total.
- Plate meatballs - Place cooked meatballs on a serving plate. Pour a generous amount of warm plum sauce over meatballs. Sprinkle the remaining green scallions over the meatballs and sauce.
- Serve over an Asian slow, noodles or white rice.
We are using crushed pork rinds as our breadcrumb alternative on this recipe. Feel free to use panko or regular breadcrumbs if you prefer.