If you are curious about how to make chocolate macaroons, then you are in for a treat. Below is my recipe for chocolate macaroons. Test only.
These cookies were hard-earned. I don’t know if I have ever struggled so much with a recipe. While making these cookies everything went wrong.
- I burned my fingertips fairly severely.
- I burnt the first round of chocolate to the point that the house was smoking. NO JOKE
- I had to go to the store for ingredients twice.
These mishaps are in no way a reflection of the recipe. Once I ACTUALLY got the recipe right and made these macaroons everyone loved them. We did a short get-away with friends and I took these cookies with me. They were the hit of the house.
On the way there, we got into a confusing conversation about Macaroons vs Macaron. At first, our friends (Who are addicted to watching cooking shows), were so impressed that I had these cookies. On their favorite cooking show, everyone says how hard they are to make. I kept saying “No, they are actually so easy to do.” Finally, we realized that we were talking about two different cookies. Suddenly, they were happy but also not quite as impressed with me.
This is a recipe for chocolate macaroons. These coconut cookies are gluten-free and quite yummy.
- 1 ½ c semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 egg whites
- ¼ t salt
- ½ c sugar
- ½ t. vanilla extract
- 3/4 c sweetened flaked coconut
- ¾ c unsweetened flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Melt the chocolate - Add the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl and heat it up in the microwave. Be sure to check on and stir the chocolate every 30 seconds. You can also melt the chocolate using a double boiler if you prefer.
- Beat the egg whites - Separate the egg whites from the yolks. Add the egg whites to a medium-size glass bowl. Beat the egg whites until you have soft peaks and they are thick.
- Add to egg whites - Add vanilla to bowl with egg whites. Then slowly add in the sugar and continue to beat until mixture is thick.
- Fold in coconut and melted chocolate.
- Form balls of batter - Using a teaspoon drop one spoon full of batter onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat for each cookie.
- Bake - Bake in over for 15 - 20 minutes. Cookies are done when a toothpick poked into the center of the cookie comes out clean.
You can use all sweetened coconut flakes if you would prefer. I used a mix because I don’t like anything to be too sweet.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
What is a Macaroon cookie?
A macaroon cookie is a flourless cookie that is made out of egg whites, sugar and coconut. It can also include nuts, chocolate or other ingredients.
How do you whip egg whites into soft peaks?
An important part of whipping egg whites into soft peaks is to allow the egg whites to come to room temperature. This generally takes about 30 minutes. Also, make sure that no egg yolk got mixed in with the whites. Any fat mixed in at all will keep your egg whites from properly whipping.
How to melt chocolate in the microwave?
Place your chocolate in a small glass bowl. Place the bowl in the microwave and cook on high for 30 seconds. Using a hand towel or oven mitts, carefully remove the bowl of chocolate from the microwave. Stir the chocolate and then cook it for another 30 seconds. Keep doing this in 30-second increments until the chocolate is smooth and melted.
Are macaroons gluten-free?
Yes! While you should always verify the ingredients of any macaroon before eating it, as a general rule macaroon cookies are gluten-free.