The other night we were making Asian meatballs for dinner and I wanted a plum sauce to go over the top of them.
I couldn’t find any at the grocery store.
So I decided to make my own homemade plum sauce.
This plum sauce turned out to be so tasty.
Not only did it taste super good over those meatballs but the house smelled incredible.
Another advantage of making it myself is that I got to experiment with the flavors and spices.
The sweetener – We try and eat as low carb and Keto as we can.
This leads us to try out sugar alternatives.
Swerve is our sugar alternative of choice.
You can absolutely use sugar instead of Swerve in this recipe.
If using sugar it is a 1:1 ratio from Swerve to sugar. So still use 4 tablespoons of sugar.
Allspice – Traditional plum sauce often calls for stars of anise.
That isn’t my favorite flavor profile so I did a substitute.
I used allspice instead and the flavor really popped for me.
You make also like these tips:
Advanced Text Block
Qubely blocks is added to the Gutenberg editor as soon as you install the plugin. You can start using it as any other Gutenberg block. Add ready blocks using the plus sign where you’ll find a new section of blocks under the Qubely icon.
- 2 lbs plums, fresh
- ½ c. apple cider vinegar
- 4 T Swerve sweetener
- ½ c. soy sauce
- 2 T garlic, minced
- 1 T all spice, ground
- 1 T ginger, ground
- Prepare plums - Wash and dry the fresh plums. Slice plums in half and remove the pit. Dice plums into 2” chunks.
- Cook the plums - Add the chunks of plum and all other ingredients into a large saucepan. Bring the ingredients to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover with a lid and cook for 25 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Allow the mixture to cool for about 15 minutes. (Set saucepan aside for use in future steps)
- Puree the mixture in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Pour the pureed mixture back into the saucepan. Bring the sauce to a boil. Stir the sauce and cover. Reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Simmer the sauce for an additional 20 minutes. Stir once after 10 minutes of cooking.
- Remove the sauce and ENJOY!