Discover easy zucchini appetizers, prep tips, our top picks, and best practices for making eye-catching zucchini starters.
Zucchini’s appeal comes from its crisp texture and mild flavor, making it versatile in various dishes.
It works well in both sweet treats like zucchini bread and savory delights.
Zucchini can also be enjoyed raw, simmered, or grilled and can be found in anything from soups and salads to pasta dishes and baked goods.
- Our #2 Cheesy Zucchini Fritters are fluffy and moist on the inside with a crispy outside.
- #5 Fresh Zucchini Roll-Ups will be a hit at your next party, thanks to the addition of creamy Caesar dressing.
- If you want an excellent way to use up extra zucchini from your garden, make #12 Zucchini Dip.
- You’ll love #15 Zucchini Garlic Bites, as these morsels are crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
- #20 Zucchini Chips are loaded with Parmesan flavor, making them one of the best summer appetizers.
- Want to enjoy the taste of pizza while incorporating more vegetables? Give #3 Cheesy Hasselback Zucchini Pizzas a try!
- Get your party started by serving #9 Zucchini Pesto Puff Pastry Tart filled with Parmigiano and basil leaves.
- Want to take your roll-ups to the next level? Make #27 Baked Breaded Zucchini Roll-Ups!
- Impress your guests with the eye-catching presentation of #28 Pesto Zucchini Rosettes!
- Take your nacho game up a notch-o with #29 Zucchini Nachos.
Tips to Make Zucchini Appetizers
Here are some essential tips to help you make the best zucchini appetizers to serve at your next gathering.
- Choose the right zucchini. When choosing zucchini for appetizers, look for small, tender zucchini that are about 6 inches long. Avoid zucchini that are large or have thick skin.
- Wash and dry thoroughly. Always wash your zucchini thoroughly before using it to remove any residual dirt or pesticides.
- Decide on a preparation method. Zucchini can be grilled, fried, sautéed, or baked.
- Consider stuffing. Small zucchini can be hollowed out and stuffed with various fillings like cheeses, meats, and grains.
- Flavor combinations. Zucchini pairs well with different ingredients, including garlic, onions, tomatoes, herbs, and cheese.
- Check for doneness. Zucchini should be cooked just until tender. Overcooked zucchini becomes mushy and loses its shape.
And speaking of zucchini appetizers (that’s why you’re here, right?) check out this excellent list that includes bruschetta, fritters, and more.
Best Zucchini Appetizer Recipes
This recipe can help you make low-carb, delightful bruschetta.
Substituting crisp zucchini for bread allows you to enjoy the same wonderful cheesy tomato topping you’re used to.
To ensure the zucchini slices crisp up and don’t fall apart while holding the toppings, brush them with olive oil.
Anyone who enjoys a fantastic appetizer will love this dish, not just the keto crowd.
Zucchini fritters are a type of small, savory pancake that is made with shredded zucchini, cheese, and spices.
You can bake these in a conventional oven, toaster oven, or in an air fryer.
The inside of the fritter is fluffy and moist but the outside has a crisp texture that makes these so poppable and yummy, you’ll be making these OFTEN.
Some people compare the taste of zucchini fritters to that of a veggie burger, while others find them to be more like a savory latke.
Regardless of how they are cooked or what they are served with, zucchini fritters are a yummy way to enjoy this versatile summer squash.
You can skip the pizza dough with this Hasselback pizza.
This pizza takes no time at all to assemble.
Simply stack zucchini, salami, and mozzarella in a baking dish and bake.
Aside from the simplicity, this recipe’s appeal lies in the fact that it can be readily scaled up to serve a huge crowd.
This tasty snack is best for gatherings like family events, intimate gatherings, and more.
Vegetarian Zucchini Meatballs are indeed a tasty alternative to the traditional Italian dish.
Basil, lemon, and zucchini are just a few bright notes that permeate each and every “meatball.”
Also, if you thought these were succulent, just wait until you get to the sauce!
Spinach plus ricotta cheese is hidden in the thick marinara sauce.
This is a recipe you’ll make over and over.
It’s that good!
If you’re searching for a tasty snack that the whole family will love, look no further than these Fresh Veggie Zucchini Roll-Ups.
Made with crisp, crunchy vegetables and flavored with creamy Caesar dressing, these roll-ups are sure to be talked about at any party or gathering.
Whether you’re looking for an easy-to-make treat for kids or a palatable appetizer for your next party, this dish will hit the spot.
It’s fantastic that you came up with this dish.
Zucchini halves are stuffed with a cheesy, crispy mixture.
The most difficult part is extracting the zucchinis without piercing their skin.
For this task, using a melon baller will do, though a spoon can also do the trick.
Then, you need to stuff the zucchini boats with your savory filling.
In this case, it’s a mixture of chipotle peppers, mustard, and mayo.
Bake until the cheese melts, and savor its gooey goodness!
Fries don’t have to derail your wholesome eating plan entirely.
These Zucchini Fries are a fine example of that.
These savory fries are dipped in panko crumbs and seasoned with grated parmesan and Italian spice.
And then you bake them till they’re lovely and crunchy.
Zucchini fries, which are crisp on the exterior and juicy in the middle, are totally tantalizing.
Learn about how to saute zucchini here.
These Hummus Bites are a fantastic on-the-go snack since they are hassle-free to create and they are low in carbs and calories.
You will only need to bake zucchini for a short time before topping them with your chosen ingredients.
The peppers are crisp and vibrant, and the feta has a nice tang.
Try serving them with hummus made with spinach and artichokes, or pair them with roasted red bell peppers.
For a more elegant presentation, try pairing this with various hummus variations.
This amazing recipe is proof that puff pastry is a godsend when hosting parties.
Puff pastry and tender zucchini merge in this delightful dish.
The pesto spread makes this dish stand out—it’s light and flavorful without being overwhelmingly heavy.
However, some goat cheese would be a lovely addition, even if they aren’t called for in the original.
Ready for a family vacation or planning a summer barbeque party?
These little morsels are ideal for any event!
Zucchini slices will be scooped out and stuffed with tomatoes and some gorgonzola cheese.
This finger food recipe is sublime, thanks to its crisp, lightly sweet yet sharp flavors.
Zucchini Parmesan Squares are made with shredded zucchini, parmesan cheese, eggs, and bread crumbs.
They are baked in a square or rectangular pan.
The result is a moist, flavorful cake with a slightly crispy exterior.
The grated zucchini provides a subtle sweetness and moistness to the cake, while the parmesan cheese adds a sharpness and depth of flavor.
The eggs bind the ingredients together and help to create a fluffy texture.
The bread crumbs give the cake a bit of crunch and body.
12. Zucchini Dip
Who doesn’t appreciate a nice dipping sauce?
This dip strikes a wonderful mix between decadent and nourishing because of the abundance of vegetables, cream cheese, and garlic that it contains.
This usually goes well with a dish of crackers and vegetable sticks.
It would also be an exceptional spread on some grilled zucchini rounds.
This dish is a beloved staple of the party appetizers.
The usage of zucchini flowers in this manner is whimsical and lovely, making them work for various events.
The Zucchini Flowers are stuffed with ham and cheese, breaded, then deep-fried.
It’s also excellent paired with goat cheese.
In fact, each flower has so much flavor that a dipping sauce is totally unnecessary.
Baked Cheesy Zucchini Bites are a sumptuous way to enjoy zucchini.
The cheesy flavor of the zucchini pairs well with the savory seasonings, and the bites are irresistibly creamy.
Whether you’re looking for a wholesome snack or a mouthwatering way to use summer zucchini, this will hit taste buds dead center.
Zucchini Garlic Bites are made with fresh zucchini, garlic, and other spices.
Combining these ingredients gives them a savory flavor that is awesome for satisfying hunger cravings.
The breading helps to give the bites a crispy outer layer.
At the same time, the zucchini and garlic provide a flavorful and moist filling.
They are also a good source of fiber and protein, making them an outstanding option for those looking for a snack that will help them stay full until their next meal.
These Chicken Zucchini Poppers are a fantastic option for a wholesome lunch, appetizer, or snack that packs a lot of flavor in a relatively little package.
In addition to being quite simple to prepare, they are laden with flavor and all the good stuff, which is very beneficial for children who absolutely detest consuming their veggies.
Quick and effortless to make, this impressive dish is exquisite for any occasion.
Herb-infused butter and parmesan cheese are spread on top of zucchini slices and baked until bubbling.
This recipe is a superb way to make use of this seasonal gem.
Even though pizza isn’t typically considered a low-carb food, this recipe manages to pull it off!
Miniature pizza bites are made from zucchini that have been sliced very thinly.
Accessible toppings include mozzarella, salami, and marinara sauce.
Alternating between the three is acceptable and is sometimes encouraged, depending on the type of diners you are serving.
This is also a proper dish for kids who are notoriously picky eaters.
19. Zucchini Tots
Do you have a soft spot for tater tots?
Then you’ll definitely go for Zucchini Tots!
Make a batch of this hearty finger food, and there won’t be a single tot left over.
Zucchini Tots have a deeper taste than typical tater tots because of the combination of fresh zucchini and cheese.
The secret to wonderfully crisp zucchini chips is to squeeze out as much moisture as possible from shredded zucchini before cooking.
20. Zucchini Chips
Move over, potato chips!
These Zucchini Chips will be your new go-to snack.
They are easy to make and only require a few ingredients: zucchini, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
Trust us when we say you won’t be able to stop at just one!
Fried Zucchini Bites are coated in a light batter and then fried until golden brown.
You’ll have a crispy exterior with a tender and flavorsome interior.
Fried zucchini bites are best paired with a dipping sauce, such as ranch dressing or marinara sauce.
They can also be garnished with shredded Parmesan cheese or fresh herbs.
These Baked Zucchini Wedges are a healthier alternative to fried zucchini. They are made with simple ingredients and are baked until golden brown and crispy.
Ingredients include: Zucchini, all purpose flour, eggs, milk, and oregano.
Bacon Zucchini Fries are easy-to-make snacks and are created using only two ingredients, prepared in half an hour or less.
Ingredients include: Zucchini and bacon.
Zucchini Cheese Crisps are a savory snack made from two basic ingredients. For the best crunch, they should be enjoyed freshly cooked.
Ingredients include: Zucchini and cheese.
The highlight of this recipe is the savory Parmesan cheese and the fresh zucchini. The zucchini slices are kept thin to ensure a pleasing texture and to allow the flavors to permeate each layer.
Ingredients include: Zucchini, eggs, parmesan cheese, flour, and garlic powder.
Tips for Eye-Catching Plating & Presentation
If you want your zucchini appetizers to make a fabulous entrance, here are some simple tips:
- Use a variety of toppings. There are many different toppings that you can use on zucchini appetizers. Some popular toppings include: hummus, goat cheese, Parmesan cheese, marinara sauce, pesto, feta cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, and olives.
- Use different colors of zucchini. Zucchini comes in various colors, including green, yellow, and orange.
- Play with shapes. Instead of simply slicing the zucchini into rounds or sticks, try cutting it into stars, hearts, or other shapes.
- Grill or sear zucchini. Grilling or searing zucchini gives it attractive grill marks and a lovely caramelized flavor.
- Layering and stacking. Layer or stack your ingredients to create height and dimension.
- Plating. Instead of simply placing your appetizers on a plate, think about how you can arrange them in an eye-catching way.
This recipe for Jalapeno Popper Zucchini Boats is a great way to enjoy all the flavors of a classic jalapeno popper without the guilt. For a spicier dish, leave the seeds in the jalapenos.
Ingredients include: Zucchini, olive oil, cream cheese, bacon strips, and jalapenos.
The Baked Breaded Zucchini Roll-Ups are a quick and scrumptious appetizer, ideal for gatherings. The recipe involves baking zucchini strips, topping them with ham and cheese, rolling, and re-baking until the cheese melts.
Ingredients include: Zucchini, ham, cheese, parsley, and oregano.
The way the zucchini is cut into thin ribbons gives these rosettes a beautiful and delicate appearance. These rosettes add a balanced, vibrant, and delectable array of options for any dining occasion.
Ingredients include: Puff pastry, Boursin cheese, pesto, zucchini, and garlic powder.
29. Zucchini Nachos
Layered with an lots of toppings, these nachos can be personalized to suit your pizza cravings. Just remember, these wholesome bites are best enjoyed fresh, as the zucchini releases moisture over time.
Ingredients include: Zucchini, avocado oil, buffalo chicken nachos, cheese, and salsa.
Easily prepared with zucchini, guacamole, a few toothpicks, and your choice of herbs, these can be customized to your liking. To maintain the best texture, serve them immediately.
Ingredients include: Zucchini, chili flakes, guacamole, garlic powder, and smoked paprika.
This light dip is made from the fusion of zucchini with Mediterranean ingredients. It is smoothly blended and seasoned with paprika and parsley.
Ingredients include: Zucchini, feta cheese, garlic, tahini, and Greek yogurt.
Tips for Serving Zucchini Appetizers
Here are a few helpful tips on how to serve zucchini appetizers:
- Serve them at the right temperature. Some zucchini appetizers are best served hot, like zucchini fritters or stuffed zucchini boats, while others, like zucchini carpaccio, are served cold.
- Garnish. Top your appetizers with garnishes (fresh herbs, sauce, or cheese) to enhance their visual appeal and flavor.
- Serving size. Remember that appetizers are meant to whet the appetite. Portion sizes should be bite-sized or just a few bites.
- Use the right dishes. Be sure to serve your appetizers on appropriate dishes. For instance, zucchini chips can be served in small individual bowls or on a large platter, while stuffed zucchini boats (which often require a fork and knife) are best on individual plates.
- Offer dips or sauces. Enhance your zucchini appetizers with dips or sauces like marinara, yogurt-based dip, or hummus.
The bottom line
Whether you’re looking for a low-carb snack or a delicious way to use up summer veg, these zucchini appetizers are sure to please.
Rest assured, this list has a recipe or two to make practically every zook lover happy, so don’t hesitate to give them a whirl!
If your garden is overflowing with zucchini this year, CookingChew.com has some helpful tips for freezing zucchini, too.
More About Zucchini
- Best Indian Zucchini Recipes
- 11 Zucchini Salad Recipes
- How To Saute Zucchini
- How To Grate Zucchini
- How To Freeze Zucchini
- Baked Zucchini Appetizer (Cheesy Fritters)
- Oven Roasted Zucchini & Tomatoes Recipe
- Pasta With Zucchini & Goat Cheese
- Zucchini Bruschetta
- Cooking Chew’s Baked Cheesy Zucchini Fritters
- Cheesy Hasselback Zucchini Pizzas
- Zucchini “Meatballs”
- Fresh Veggie Zucchini Roll-Ups
- Chipotle Zucchini Boats
- Zucchini Fries
- Baked Zucchini Hummus Bites
- Zucchini Pesto Puff Pastry Tart
- Zucchini, Cherry Tomato, & Gorgonzola Bites
- Zucchini Parmesan Squares
- Zucchini Dip
- Italian Stuffed Zucchini Flowers
- Baked Cheesy Zucchini Bites
- Zucchini Garlic Bites
- Chicken Zucchini Poppers
- Baked Parmesan Zucchini Bites
- Zucchini Pizza Bites
- Zucchini Tots
- Zucchini Chips
- Fried Zucchini Bites
- Baked Zucchini Wedges
- Bacon Zucchini Fries
- Zucchini Cheese Crisps
- Baked Cheesy Zucchini Stacks
- Jalapeno Popper Zucchini Boats
- Baked Breaded Zucchini Roll-Ups
- Pesto Zucchini Rosettes
- Zucchini Nachos
- Roasted Zucchini Rolls With Guacamole
- Find your favorite recipe from our Zucchini Appetizers list.
- Gather all the ingredients needed.
- If you love it, don't forget to share where you got it!