These healthy stuffed portobello mushrooms are made with turkey sausage, poblano pepper and goat cheese.
These tasty appetizers only take 10 minutes of prep time.
You will love this healthy stuffed portobello mushroom recipe.
We love stuffed mushrooms. One of our favorite local Italian restaurants serves what may be the absolute best.
However, we try them pretty much everywhere we go.
Since we can’t actually eat out every single day, we also love to make them at home.
We are always experimenting with different stuffed mushroom recipes and variations.
For this 5 ingredient recipe you will need the oven and the skillet. You will roast the walnuts in the oven. Here are a few tips about preparing this recipe that will make it taste even better.
Prepare the mushrooms in advance – Trim the stem off of the mushroom and wash and dry them. Consider doing this step well in advance so that they have ample time to dry out completely. The more dry the mushrooms are, they better the dish will be.
The Goat Cheese – Dice goat cheese into small chunks while it is cold. Goat cheese is tricky to cut up but it is much easier to deal with when it is cold. If dicing it is challenging, just use your hands and tear it into small pieces. After you have it in the small pieces spread it out on a plate and allow it to come to room temperature.
About the Stuffing – If you have time to prepare the stuffing in advance do so and then place in the refrigerator for a couple of hours. This will allow the flavors to meld together and it will be even tastier.
Can you freeze stuffed mushrooms?
Yes, you sure can but you want to freeze them before you bake them.
Prepare the mushrooms and stuff them but don’t cook them first.
Once they are stuffed, place them in the freezer on a baking pan lined with a silicone mat (link to silicone mat) or parchment paper.
Freeze them for 1 hour. Then place them in a sealed container!
How long do stuffed mushrooms take to cook?
Once stuffed mushrooms are cooked and placed in the oven they generally cook for about 10 to 15 minutes.
Cooking times will vary based upon your oven and how many mushrooms you are cooking.
How do you reheat stuffed mushrooms?
There are a few methods that you can use to reheat stuffed mushrooms.
The best method to reheat mushrooms and avoid them drying out is to either reheat them on the stovetop or in the oven.
- Reheat stuffed mushrooms in the microwave on a plate covered with a paper towel.
Reheat the mushrooms in 1 minute increments. Check every minute to make sure that the mushrooms are thoroughly reheated. Be careful not to over cook the mushrooms in the microwave. If you overcook them they will dry out.
- Reheat stuffed mushrooms on the stovetop. Add 1 teaspoon of olive oil to a skillet turned to medium low temperature. Add mushrooms to the pan and cover it with a lid. Cook the mushrooms for 4 minutes and check if they are thoroughly heated throughout. If not, cook for 3 minute increments until they are done.
- Reheat stuffed mushrooms in the oven. Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Place stuffed mushrooms on a baking sheet with sides and lined with a silicone baking mat. Bake stuffed mushrooms for 5 minutes.
How do you clean portobello mushrooms?
We believe that the best way to wash a mushroom is to drop them in a cold bowl of water.
Then swish the mushrooms around rigorously.
The dirt will sink to the bottom of the container.
Then remove them from the water and pat them dry on a clean cotton cloth. (Read our full article for detailed instructions.)
How do you keep mushrooms from getting soggy?
A tip to keep stuffed mushrooms from getting too soggy is to pre-bake the mushrooms in the oven at 325 degrees for 5 minutes.
Place the cut mushrooms caps down on a baking sheet.
This will allow the moisture to drain from the mushroom.
After they are done in the oven place them on a paper towel and allow them to cool.
How long will uncooked stuffed mushrooms keep in the refrigerator?
Uncooked stuffed mushrooms can keep in the refrigerator for about 24 hours.
If you plan to keep them in the fridge any longer than that, don’t assemble them in advance.
Instead store the prepared stuffing and the cut mushrooms separately.
Stuff the mushrooms right before you plan to make them.
How long will cooked stuffed mushrooms keep in the refrigerator?
If you keep cooked stuffed mushrooms in a sealed container they will last about 3 days in the refrigerator.
Be sure to smell the container of stuffed mushrooms for any evidence of a foul odor before eating the leftovers.
I hope that you enjoy this healthy stuffed portobello mushroom recipe.
It is so yummy.
Get creative an experiment with the ingredients.
Check out these articles:
- How Long Do Mushrooms Last
- How to Saute Mushrooms
- How to Chop Mushrooms Quickly and Easily
- How to Wash Mushrooms and Why You Should
- Quick and Easy Stir Fry: Make this Garlic Shrimp and Mushrooms Recipe at Home!
Stuffed Portobello Mushroom Recipe
- 3 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large Poblano pepper
- 1 lb. Turkey sausage
- 4 oz. Goat cheese
- 16 oz. medium Portobello mushrooms
- Cut the goat cheese into small chunks about ½” square. Set the cheese aside and allow it to come to room temperature.
- Wash the poblano pepper then cut it in half and remove the seeds. Dice the pepper.
- Remove the stems from the mushroom and discard them. Rinse the mushrooms and dry them thoroughly.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease a large roasting pan with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Set the pan aside.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add diced poblano peppers and cook. Stir occasionally until the peppers are soften (about 3 to 4 minutes).
- Add turkey sausage to the skillet with poblano peppers. Cook for about 6 to 8 minutes stirring and breaking up the sausage into small pieces. Cook until the turkey is no longer pink.
- Add goat cheese to the pan and cover. Cook the mixture for 2 minutes. Remove the cover and stir until cheese is completely melted and combined.
- Fill each mushroom cap with the stuffing mixture. Drizzle the stuffed mushrooms with the remaining olive oil. Season the tops with a dash of salt and pepper.
- Place pan in the preheated oven and roast until the mushrooms are browned around the edges, approximately 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven and serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 423Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 117mgSodium: 897mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 36g