If you are busy like me, then you can completely understand how, at times, it’s impossible to cook a hearty homemade meal from scratch. This is especially true when you have a looming dinner party at home and you simply don’t have the energy or the time to cook a delicious meal with chicken as the star ingredient. I have learned that the best and most convenient fix at such times is store-bought rotisserie chicken!
The best bit about rotisserie chicken is that you can buy it a day or two before your dinner party and then reheat it to use in your dish on the day of the party. You can also buy it on the day of the party and simply reheat it at home to use it as is or in a special recipe.
If you are wondering how to reheat rotisserie chicken, read on to find out!
How Long Is Rotisserie Chicken Good for?
Rotisserie chicken stays fresh in the fridge for three to four days. To maximize its life and retain its taste, make sure to refrigerate your rotisserie chicken in low airtight containers. If you want to keep it for more than 4 days, then it’s better to freeze it in high-quality freezer bags. Stored properly, rotisserie chicken will easily last for about 2 to 6 months in your freezer.
Pro tip: Make sure to remove the meat from the bones when storing rotisserie chicken in the refrigerator. This allows the meat to cool more quickly. You can also store the bones separately and use them in homemade broths and stocks.
How to Reheat Rotisserie Chicken in 4 Different Ways
There are various ways in which you can reheat roast chicken, including roasting, sautéing, and microwaving. Each method has its own pros and cons depending on your preference, you can choose to reheat rotisserie chicken in whichever serves your needs best.
Here are 4 easy ways to reheat rotisserie chicken:
1. Roast It in the Oven
Arguably, this is the best way to reheat rotisserie chicken. Even though it takes a bit longer than the other methods, such as microwaving or sautéing, the chicken stays pretty moist when you roast it in the oven with crispy skin on top. Here’s how you can reheat rotisserie chicken in an oven:
- First, preheat your oven to 350 °F.
- While the oven is preheating, remove the chicken from the refrigerator and place it in an oven-safe dish.
- Cover the dish with a lid and put it in your oven. You can also cover the chicken with aluminum foil. It will help the chicken retain its moisture.
- Heat the chicken until it reaches 165 °F, check the temperature by inserting a thermometer into the deepest part of the chicken.
- If you want the rotisserie chicken to have crispy brown skin, then once the chicken has cooked, remove the cover.
- Let it roast for 5 more minutes in the oven, which will turn the chicken skin into a nice golden color.
2. Sauté It on a Stovetop
Sautéing is a quick and easy way to reheat roast chicken pieces. It works wonderfully well if you plan on using the rotisserie chicken pieces in a salad or pasta dish. For this method, here is what you have to do:
Things You Will Need
- First, cut up the chicken into small bite-sized pieces, 1 to 2 inches each.
- Heat up 1 to 3 teaspoons of canola or vegetable oil in a pan or skillet. Use 1 teaspoon of oil if you don’t have a lot of chicken and more if the pieces will easily fill up the skillet.
- Make sure to keep the heat at medium-high.
- Once the oil is sufficiently hot, stir in the chicken pieces.
- Keep stirring the chicken pieces with a spatula or tongs as they cook. Let them cook for about 4 to 5 minutes, until they’re steaming hot. This is important as you won’t be able to check the temperature of the pieces with a thermometer.
- Turn off the burner once the chicken pieces have sufficiently heated.
Pro Tip: when sautéing the chicken, make sure that you don’t go overboard when adding oil. Too much oil might lead to you overcooking the chicken. Additionally, you definitely don’t want your chicken swimming in oil. Moreover, make sure to stir the chicken constantly; you don’t want to leave the pan unattended. If you leave it sitting in one spot for too long, then the chicken will turn too crisp, dry, and rubbery.
3. Microwave It
If you are in a pinch, then the best way to reheat rotisserie chicken pieces is in a microwave. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how you can heat up roasted chicken in a microwave.
- Set your microwave to about 70% or put it in a medium setting.
- Put the chicken pieces on a microwave-safe plate. If you are reheating a whole chicken, then put it in a microwave-safe baking dish to retain all the juices.
- Place the plate in the microwave and reheat the chicken for 1 to 5 minutes, depending on the size of the chicken; around 1 minute for shredded chicken pieces and about 5 minutes of the whole chicken.
- Check for any cold spots and reheat for ½ or 1 more minute to ensure that it’s heated to your liking.
- Check the internal temperature of the chicken to ensure that it is cooked through. It should be at least 165°F.
- If the chicken has heated through completely, then it is safe to consume.
Pro Tip: If you shred the chicken into small pieces, it will speed up the reheating time.
4. Reheat It in the Air Fryer
If you want your whole rotisserie chicken to have extra-crispy skin, then you can reheat it in an air fryer.
- Put your air fryer on at 350°F.
- Remove the chicken from its packaging and put it in the air fryer.
- Set the air fryer for 3 to 4 minutes, until the chicken is crispy and heated through.
- Remove your chicken from the air fryer and enjoy!
Pro Tip: Whichever way you choose to reheat your rotisserie chicken, just make sure that you do it safely. Use a thermometer to make sure that the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit before you eat it, as recommended by the USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service.
You can also check out how to reheat chicken wings here.
How Do You Reheat Rotisserie Chicken Without Drying It Out?
The best way to reheat chicken without drying it out is to roast it in an oven. To make sure that it stays moist, pour a cup of chicken broth on top of your chicken so that it can travel to the bottom of the dish. Cover the dish with an aluminum foil and place it in the oven to reheat. Let it roast for about 20 to 25 minutes with the broth sitting at the bottom of the dish. It will help to keep the chicken moist while it heats up.
How Long Can Rotisserie Chicken Sit Out?
Rotisserie chicken only lasts for about 2 hours at room temperature. So, if you haven’t eaten your chicken in two hours of sitting it out, then it’s better to just chuck it in the bin. This is because bacteria can rapidly grow on it at room temperature, which makes it unsafe to eat.
The Bottom Line
We hope you enjoyed this comprehensive guide on how to reheat rotisserie chicken in 4 different ways. Make sure to try each of them at home and use the one that works best for you. Make sure to not let rotisserie chicken sit out for more than 2 hours and if you don’t plan on using it right away, then you can refrigerate it. Just make sure to devour it within 3 to 4 days!