Find the best recipes using canned plums, alongside our suggested recipe picks as well as some storing tips on how to keep them as fresh as possible.
Canned plums, a convenient preservation of nature’s sweet bounty, offer a burst of flavor even beyond the harvest season. These plump and juicy fruits are carefully selected at their peak ripeness, then processed and sealed in cans to ensure their fresh quality and taste are locked in for enjoyment throughout the year.
Canning plums not only extends their shelf life but also transforms them into a versatile ingredient that can be enjoyed in various recipes year-round. From main dishes to desserts, canned plums spark creativity in professional chefs and home cooks, encouraging them to craft delicious dishes that excite the palate.
To unleash the full potential of this pantry staple, here’s a list of the best recipes using canned plums.
Top 5 Recipe Picks
No time to lose? Let’s make it quick. Here are the faves:
- #2 Self Saucing Plum Pudding offers a combination of sweet, tart, and creamy flavors.
- #6 Plum Kuchen has a light, fluffy texture with a slightly crumbly streusel topping.
- #9 Plum Glazed Chicken is elegant and delicious, a great choice for special occasions.
- #11 Sugar Plum Cake is straightforward and easy to follow, even for beginner bakers.
- The flavors of #12 Oatmeal Plum Crisp are so cozy, and the crisp is perfectly crunchy.
Best Recipes Using Canned Plums
This treat exemplifies the perfect blend of nostalgia and taste, featuring succulent plums with a delicate, moist cake. The recipe includes tips for making the cake ahead of time and storing it for later.
This self saucing plum pudding is baked until golden brown and bubbling. The hot water poured over the top of the pudding creates a rich sauce that perfectly complements the tart plums.
Perfect for any occasion, Zwetschgenkuchen is a classic German plum cake. It features a dough that’s been leavened with yeast, topped with plums, and a sweet streusel topping.
This dessert mixes rich, spiced plum flavors with a moist, dense cake texture, perfectly balancing warmth and sweet flavor. For a decadent treat, serve with custard, whipped cream, or ice cream.
This classic dessert features a moist, fluffy cake topped with caramelized peaches and plums. The golden caramelized topping perfectly complements the juicy peaches and plums.
6. Plum Kuchen
This German-inspired cake is baked until golden brown and has a slightly crumbly texture. The biscuit dough is simple to assemble, and the plums add a sweet and tart flavor.
This dainty little cake is made with a soft, airy sponge cake, layered with a tangy-sweet plum glaze, and covered in a fluffy buttercream frosting. For a touch of magic, the cake is crowned with edible gold glitter on top.
This simple dessert is made by baking delicious plums, sugar, cornstarch, and spices in a flaky pie crust. The rustic crust adds a flaky and tasty touch to the pie’s finish.
This dish highlights succulent chicken glazed with luscious plum sauce. The glaze not only enhances the chicken’s flavor but also ensures it remains moist and bursting with flavor.
This dessert brings together the velvety allure of cream cheese and the juicy succulence of plums. Moist and bursting with fruit flavor, it’s as visually enchanting as it is delectable.
11. Sugar Plum Cake
Made with plum fruit and nuts, this cake is soaked in liquor for several weeks before it’s served. The treat is also flavored with spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.
This treat calls for basic ingredients you already have on hand. The oats and brown sugar topping give it a crunchy texture, while the tart plums provide a perfect balance of flavors.
The plums add a sweet and tart note to this cake, and their juices help to make it moist. This combo of ingredients results in a moist and tender cake with a rich buttery flavor.
Tips For Storing Canned Plums
Storing canned plums properly is essential to maintain their flavor, texture, and safety. Here are tips to help you store canned plums effectively:
- Check seals. Ensure lids are properly sealed; discard loose or damaged ones.
- Cool, dry spot. Store in a cool, dry area, away from light, heat, and moisture.
- Stable temperature. Avoid temperature fluctuations to maintain plum quality.
- Rotate stock. Use older cans first to prevent spoilage.
- No fridge needed. Keep unopened cans at room temperature; refrigerate after opening.
- Glass containers. Store opened plums in airtight glass containers to preserve freshness.
- Label and date. Note the opening date on containers to track freshness.
- Check spoilage. Look for mold, odd smells, or textures before consuming.
- Minimize air exposure. Keep opened plums airtight to avoid flavor deterioration.
- Use timely. Consume within 1-2 years for the best quality.
The bottom line
Incorporating canned plums into your culinary repertoire opens the door to a world of flavors and possibilities. From sweet to savory, these recipes showcase the flexibility and creativity that this humble ingredient can offer.
So, the next time you’re perusing your pantry, consider the canned plums waiting on the shelf, ready to add a burst of fruity flavor to your dishes.
More Canned Recipes
- Canned Spinach Recipes
- Canned Ham Recipes
- Canned Potato Recipes
- Canned Asparagus Recipes
- Canned Carrot Recipes
- Recipes Using Canned Apple Pie Filling
- Canned Artichoke Recipes
- Canned Oyster Recipes
- Canned Biscuit Recipes
- Classic Plum Cake
- Self Saucing Plum Pudding
- Zwetschgenkuchen (German Plum Cake)
- Deep Plum Pudding
- Peach & Plum Up-Side Down Cake
- Plum Kuchen
- Sugar Plum Fairy Cake
- Rustic Plum Pie
- Plum Glazed Chicken
- Plum & Cream Cheese Tray Cake
- Sugar Plum Cake
- Oatmeal Plum Crisp
- Plum Streusel Coffee Cake
- Find your favorite recipe from our Recipes Using Canned Plums list.
- Gather all the ingredients needed.
- If you love it, don't forget to share where you got it!