Green beans make an easy and delicious healthy side dish. These steamed green beans only require 5 ingredients. We eat green beans several times a week. They are perfect side dish for every main dish ranging from lasagna to baked chicken thighs. One of the keys to cooking delicious green beans is to make sure that you don’t overcook them. Green beans making cooking easy on us because they turn brighter green when they are cooked.
How do you trim green beans?
Our best timesaving method for trimming green beans is to grab a few at a time in your hand, push the stems to one end and trim the ends with a pair of kitchen shears.
To trim green beans with a knife, gather the green beans and line up the ends. Use a knife and trim off the ends. Regather the beans and line up the opposite ends and trim off the ends with your knife.
Check out these articles:
- Creamy Broccoli Salad Recipe (crunchy & delicious)
- How To Make Scrumptious And Easy Oven Roasted Pork Chops
- Hearty 3 Bean Chili Recipe
- How to Make Sweet and Tender Glazed Carrots in Your Microwave
How do you know when green beans are cooked?
Green beans that are cooked turn bright green when they are done. Once they turn bright green continue to cook them for another minute or two. Then pull one from the hot water carefully, cool it and taste it. It should have a slight crunch and a deep flavor. If it still taste grassy, it isn’t quite done.
- 1 pound fresh green beans
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 T minced garlic
- 1 lemon
- 1 T butter
- Salt and pepper
- Prep the green beans - Wash and dry the green beans. Trim the ends of the green beans.
- Add a dash of salt to a large saucepan of water and bring it to a boil.
- Prep the lemon - Wash and dry the lemon. Zest the lemon. Cut the lemon in half and juice it.
- Add the beans to the boiling water.
- Cook the beans until they are vibrant green and tender. This should take about 4 minutes.
- Melt the butter in the microwave.
- Add the butter, olive oil, minced garlic, melted butter, and lemon to a small mixing bowl. Stir to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Drain the green beans in a colander. Rinse in cold water to stop the cooking.
- Add the cooked green beans back into the pan. Pour the dressing over the beans and stir to fully coat.
- Serve and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 130Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 104mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 2g
5 of our favorite pieces of cookware lately!