This delicious calzone has the sauce for dipping on the side for mess-free eating!
Pick up pre-made dough at the store to cut your prep time in half.
You can make it your own by putting your favorite pizza toppings inside.
Set up a fun Calzone Toppings Bar and everyone can fill their own any way they want. Set out all your favorite cheeses, meats, and veggies, and let everyone make their specialty. Serve the sauce in small bowls on the side for easy dipping.
Give this luscious Calzone with Ground Beef and Marinara a try on a weekend when you can let the sauce really simmer on the stove, filling your home with that rich garlic and tomato aroma, and setting plates of steaming, fresh Italian favorites in front of your OH SO LUCKY loved ones!
This is a tried and tested recipe and we are ALL ABOUT this tarragon-rich sauce.
You’ll be tempted to add the usual Italian seasoning, but I promise you the end result as is will blow your pizza-loving mind.
- Pizza dough (see our market recommendations below)
- ½ lb of ground beef
- ½ c finely chopped leeks thoroughly washed
- 1 t chili powder
- 1 t garlic powder
- 1 c ricotta
- 1 c mozzarella, shredded
- 1 egg for egg wash
- 1 (32 oz) can of San Marzano tomatoes
- 3 T tomato paste (about ¾ of one of those small 6-oz cans)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 jalapeño de-seeded and diced
- 2 bay leaves, whole
- 1 ½ t crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 T cumin
- 1 t fennel seeds
- 1 t tarragon
- 2 T basil
- 2 T olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepot on medium-high heat with some oil cook the onions and jalapeño until translucent, about 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add spices and cook for a minute until fragrant. Then add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes and tomato paste and turn the heat to low. Simmer sauce for 15 minutes to 1 hour (the longer it simmers, the better it gets!)
- In a medium-sized pan, heat oil and add ground beef, leeks, and spices. Cook until no pink in the beef remains. Set aside to cool. Quick cooling tip: Spread mixture out on a plate or baking sheet to get it to room temperature fast. You don’t want the hot beef to melt the cheese in the next step.
- In a medium bowl, mix cooled meat and leeks, ricotta, and mozzarella and put in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Divide pizza dough in half and roll each half into two circles.
- Add half of the filling to one side of the circle, making sure to leave a border so you can pinch it together. Fold the other half over the filling and pinch the two sides of dough together.
- Once it’s sealed, gently roll and tuck the extra dough toward the calzone.
- Lightly grease or spray a baking sheet. Set aside.
- Break the egg into a bowl and scramble with a fork.
- Place the finished calzone on the baking sheet and brush tops and sides with egg wash. It’s okay if you don’t end up using all the eggs.
- Sprinkle salt on top and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Let sit for five minutes, since these will be steaming out of the oven.
- Serve warm with plenty of sauce on the side.
- Store unbaked but assembled calzone in the freezer for up to two months. Bake from frozen at 425F for 20 minutes, or thaw completely overnight in the fridge and follow baking directions above.
- Store fully cooked leftovers loosely wrapped in the refrigerator. Chilled leftovers can usually be safely eaten for one to three days. Reheat by wrapping in foil and placing it in the oven for 10 minutes at 350F or until heated through. OR for the microwave, wrap in a paper towel (not foil) and place on a microwave-safe plate and reheat on high for one minute per leftover calzone. Do not microwave or eat raw dough.
- Package leftover tomato sauce in a glass container with a lid. The chilled sauce can usually be safely consumed within five days. You can freeze the sauce for up to three months in a freezer-safe container.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 936Total Fat: 59gSaturated Fat: 22gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 31gCholesterol: 353mgSodium: 857mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 5gSugar: 10gProtein: 66g