Discover the best sauces for burgers in this collection—both homemade and store-bought—along with our suggested picks and valuable tips for choosing the ideal sauces.
The humble burger, originally an American symbol of comfort and indulgence, has transcended regional and cultural barriers to become a beloved sandwich worldwide. While the meat (or meat alternative) patty remains the star, it is often the sauce that defines its character and elevates it to a truly memorable experience.
The beauty of sauces lies in their vast diversity and adaptability, catering to an array of taste buds and preferences. Whether it’s the classic ketchup and mustard duo (GenXers, do you remember Big H spread?), the tangy embrace of barbeque sauce, the spicy kick of sriracha, or a rich aioli, there’s a sauce for every burger lover out there.
Here are some of the best sauces for burgers with easy recipes:
Top 5 Recipe Picks
No time to lose? Let’s make it quick. Here are the faves:
- #4 BBQ Sauce with whole ingredients is a healthier choice compared to store-bought.
- #6 Big Mac Sauce closely resembles the taste of the real Big Mac sauce.
- #19 Truffle Mayo can add a touch of luxury and sophistication to your burgers.
- #22 Bearnaise Sauce is rich, creamy, and flavorful, with a hint of tarragon.
- #25 Maple Mayo Sauce takes 6 ingredients and can be made in minutes.
Easiest Burger Sauces: Store-bought!
- Heinz: Beyond ketchup, a full line of burger sauces like MayoRacha, classic Heinz57, and buffalo sauce combo BuffaRanch
- Hidden Valley Ranch Secret Sauce: Thick, high-quality, ranch flavors doing the heavy lifting here
- Whataburger Creamy Pepper Sauce: Flavorful, very rich, peppercorn-heavy
- Wahlberg’s Wahl Sauce: Mild, familiar, goes in and on most sandwiches
- Keith’s Burger Sauce: Pepper-forward, spicy, rich
- Hellman’s Burger Sauce lineup: Everything from Cilantro-Lime, Chili-Honey, and Roasted Garlic
Best Sauces For Burgers
This homemade ketchup is made in an Instant Pot, which makes it quick and easy to prepare. It’s a great addition to burgers as it brings a mix of sweet, tangy, and savory flavors.
This homemade version offers a tasty blend of eggs, oil, white wine vinegar, and sugar. Its rich and tangy profile makes it a perfect companion for burgers, adding a luscious texture and a balanced zing.
Mustard is a flexible flavor enhancer that goes well with many foods, like burgers. The tangy and slightly spicy taste of mustard mixes nicely with the yummy flavors of burgers, making it a tasty and well-liked topping.
4. BBQ Sauce
This sauce is packed with flavor and made with wholesome ingredients. When you spread this BBQ sauce on a juicy burger, it adds a yummy mix of smoky, sweet, and spicy tastes that make every bite extra satisfying.
5. Garlic Aioli
This traditional French sauce, often enjoyed with seafood, also makes a tasty addition to burgers. The garlic infuses a savory flavor that pairs well with the beef patty’s rich taste, while the mayo and lemon juice provide a creamy and tangy twist.
This sauce, known for making McDonald’s burgers extra delicious, is a mix of mayo, ketchup, and white wine vinegar, with a hint of spices. It gives your burger a special tangy and creamy taste that makes every bite really yummy.
This sauce is a creamy mix of spicy chipotle chili powder and smooth mayo that adds a delicious kick to burgers. The chipotle peppers give the mayo a smoky heat that complements the flavor of the burger patty.
Made with just five ingredients, this sauce is sweet, tangy, and creamy. The honey adds a touch of sweet flavor, the mustard provides a bit of tang, and the mayonnaise helps to bind everything together.
This sauce is made with ingredients like buttermilk, mayonnaise, and spices, giving it a creamy and tangy flavor. When you put this dressing on a burger, it cools down the burger’s savory note and adds a yummy twist.
10. Buffalo Sauce
This Buffalo Sauce offers a spicy, tangy, and creamy flavor. The butter in the sauce also helps to create a creamy and smooth texture that is ideal for dipping or drizzling on burgers.
This tangy and creamy dressing serves as the perfect complement to burgers. Its well-balanced flavors create a delightful contrast that makes the burger even tastier.
12. Sriracha Mayo
This fiery yet creamy aioli, enriched with the vibrant kick of sriracha sauce, brings an exciting heat to your burgers. The sauce’s sweet and spicy flavors blend perfectly with the savory taste of burgers.
Tzatziki serves as an excellent enhancement for burgers, providing a refreshing counterpoint to the savory and warm patty. The inclusion of cucumber in tzatziki effectively balances the burger’s rich flavor.
14. Teriyaki Sauce
Teriyaki sauce is a good match for burgers as it adds a flavorful and umami-rich layer to the burger patty. The sweet flavor of the sauce also helps to balance out the rich notes of the meat.
15. Wasabi Mayo
Wasabi mayo isn’t just a fantastic dip for crispy treats like chicken nuggets and fries–it’s also a tasty addition to burgers. This special mayo brings a distinct taste that perfectly goes along with the juicy beef patty and all the other yummy toppings.
This vibrant green sauce calls for fresh parsley, garlic, olive oil, and vinegar. The bright flavors of the herbs and the acidity of the vinegar cut through the rich notes of the burger patty, creating a well-balanced flavor.
17. Curry Ketchup
Curry ketchup is a sweet and savory condiment made with tomatoes, onions, garlic, curry powder, and other spices. It provides a unique flavor and kick that complements the other flavors in the burger.
18. Hoisin Sauce
Hoisin sauce has a sweet, savory, and slightly salty flavor that is often described as being “umami.” It’s a delicious addition to burgers, as it adds complexity of flavor that complements the meat and other toppings.
19. Truffle Mayo
Truffle mayo is the perfect way to take your burger to the next level. It has a slightly nutty flavor and an earthy aroma that pairs perfectly with the savory flavors of a burger.
Harissa makes an excellent complement to burgers as it effectively counterbalances the meat’s rich flavor. The fiery notes from the chili peppers provide a pleasant heat, while the infusion of garlic and spices enhances the overall taste.
21. Peanut Sauce
Peanut sauce is a great way to add flavor and moisture to burgers, and it can also help to bind the patty together. The sauce adds a creamy and slightly sweet contrast to the savory patty.
22. Bearnaise Sauce
This classic French sauce is often served with steak, but it is also delicious with burgers. The smooth, creamy consistency and tangy taste of Bearnaise sauce go well with the juicy burger patty and the crispy bun.
23. Salsa Verde
This sauce works well with burgers as it adds a tangy and fresh taste that makes the burger flavors pop. The jalapeño pepper provides a bit of heat, but you can adjust the amount to your liking.
24. Cranberry Sauce
Cranberry sauce can also be used to dress up a burger, either as a spread or as a topping. The sauce’s vibrant red color also makes it a visually appealing accompaniment to a burger.
25. Maple Mayo Sauce
This sauce requires a few simple ingredients, including mayonnaise, maple syrup, Dijon mustard, and apple cider vinegar. The garlic powder adds a touch of heat and complexity, rounding out the flavor profile.
This sauce has a fruity, slightly sweet flavor with a lingering heat. It contributes a delightful kick of flavor without overpowering the other flavors.
This easy-to-make sauce requires mayonnaise, lime juice, cilantro, and garlic. This makes it a perfect dipping sauce for burgers, as it helps to balance out the savory flavors of the burger patty and toppings.
This sauce is both flavorful and creamy. The addition of the heavy cream makes the sauce milder and creamier than traditional pesto, making it an ideal match for the savory flavors of a burger.
This sauce features a sweet and sour flavor with a hint of heat, making it a great accompaniment to burgers. It can also help to add moisture to the burger bun.
This sauce is light and creamy but also has a bit of a kick from the garlic and Dijon mustard. You can make it ahead and keep it fresh in the fridge for three days.
What To Look For In Homemade & Store-Bought Burger Sauces
When picking burger sauces, think about other toppings and sides that enhance your burger’s taste. Here are important things to consider:
- Flavor profile. Opt for sauces that complement your burger’s taste, such as ketchup for classic beef or chipotle for spicy chicken.
- Consistency. Choose a sauce texture—creamy or pourable—that suits your preferred application style.
- Balance. Select sauces that enhance flavors without overpowering your burger’s ingredients.
- Versatility. Look for sauces that pair well with various burgers and serve as dips for different snacks.
- Quality ingredients. Check labels for natural, high-quality components, and avoid artificial additives.
- Allergens and dietary restrictions. Read labels to identify allergens like dairy, eggs, soy, or gluten, especially if you or your guests have dietary concerns.
- Brand reputation. Opt for sauces from reputable brands that come with positive reviews and recommendations.
- Spice level. Pick a sauce with your preferred heat level, ranging from mild to intense.
- Freshness and shelf life. Ensure sauces have ample shelf life for your intended usage period by checking expiration dates.
- Homemade options. Get creative with homemade sauces to add a unique, personalized touch.
The bottom line
The role of sauces in the world of burgers extends beyond mere condiments. They are the architects of flavor, the weavers of texture, and the conductors of culinary harmony. From timeless classics to daring innovations, sauces infuse burgers with personality and depth, transforming them into much more than a simple meal.
More About Burgers
- BBQ Sauce
- Garlic Aioli
- Big Mac Sauce
- Chipotle Mayo
- Honey Mustard
- Ranch Dressing
- Buffalo Sauce
- Thousand Island Dressing
- Sriracha Mayo
- Teriyaki Sauce
- Wasabi Mayo
- Curry Ketchup
- Hoisin Sauce
- Truffle Mayo
- Peanut Sauce
- Bearnaise Sauce
- Salsa Verde
- Cranberry Sauce
- Maple Mayo Sauce
- Habanero Hot Sauce
- Cilantro Lime Aioli
- Creamy Pesto Sauce
- Sweet Chili Sauce
- Garlic Herb Sauce
- Find your favorite sauce from our Sauces For Burgers list.
- Gather all the ingredients needed.
- If you love it, don't forget to share where you got it!