Sometimes we just want a simple and easy sweet treat. Not every dessert has to be an ordeal to make. This is where these easy peanut butter cookies come into play.
Another thing that I love about these cookies is that you don’t make a big mess baking them. You only need 1 mixing bowl, mixer and a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. So the clean is super easy. Who doesn’t love that?
If you are looking for a peanut butter cookie that is a true punch of real peanut butter then this is the recipe for you.
Are these cookies gluten-free?
This peanut butter cookie recipe doesn’t even contain flour. This means that it is gluten-free. Now before you can truly call these gluten-free, I do recommend that you fully read the ingredients on your peanut butter. Some brands do actually put gluten in their recipe.
How long will the cookies last?
The cookies will last about 5 to 7 days if stored in an airtight container. If you want to make then last even longer consider freezing the leftovers and thawing a couple at a time as you crave them.
Check out these articles:
- How to Make the Perfect Puff Pastry! Everything You Need to Know.
- Two Cold Fruit No-Bake Pie Recipes You’ll Love
- How to Make Chocolate Macaroons
- Air Fryer Baked Apples Quick and Easy
- Keto Chocolate Mug Cake (The Microwave Recipe)
Can you store the dough?
Yes, you can store the unbaked cookie dough in the fridge for 5 days. You can also create cookie dough balls and freeze them. The frozen dough will keep for about 3 months.
Ingredients needed to make these cookies
You could make this recipe without using all of the ingredients listed below. But after tweaking the recipe quite a bit we settled on these as the best version of these cookies.
- Creamy peanut butter – This is the most important ingredient in this recipe. (You could use crunchy peanut butter for a different texture.)
- White granulated sugar – This is a crucial ingredient and is a must-have. (We have experimented with adding less sugar but have never been happy with the results.)
- 1 large egg – The egg binds the sugar and peanut butter together. (You could experiment with an egg substitute if you have an allergy.)
- Vanilla extract – This is not a requirement for peanut butter cookies but it does enhance the flavor enough that we prefer to use it.
- Baking soda – Adding a pinch of baking soda helps the cookies cook more evenly and makes them a bit fluffier. We appreciate the effect but you could leave this out if you don’t have any on hand. They will still be delicious.
- Salt – Salt isn’t a required ingredient in this cookie recipe but it does enhance the flavor enough that we much prefer the cookie recipe with a pinch of salt. It doesn’t take much to have an impact.
Tips on making these cookies
- While you don’t have to use parchment paper we do highly recommend it. You could also use a silicone baking mat. If you don’t have either of those, be sure to spray your baking pan with a bit of cooking spray. You don’t want those cookies to stick to the plan.
- Allow the cookies to cool for 5 minutes before serving. This extra time to settle really enhances the recipe.
- Pull the cookies out of the oven when tops start to turn white. They will finish cooking during that 5 minutes after you pull them out of the oven.
- Consider sprinkling coarse sugar on top of the cookies prior to baking.
- A nice variation on this recipe is to use ½ cup of white sugar and ½ c light brown sugar.
- 1 c sugar
- 1 c peanut butter
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 t vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll up balls of dough about the size of a walnut.
- Place the balls on the baking sheet and use a fork to smash down and create a crisscross pattern.
- Bake them for 8-11 minutes.
- Allow them to cool for 5 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 197Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 126mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 1gSugar: 18gProtein: 5g