Yes, you can make mashed potatoes in the microwave. What’s more, you can make mashed potatoes in the microwave for only about 15 minutes.
Yes, you’re reading it right: that’s the total time.
What I love about mashed potatoes in the microwave is that it requires very little cleanup. You can mash the potatoes in the same bowl that you microwave them in.
This means that cleaning the kitchen after dinner will go much easier.
If you have time you can always use our recipe for creamy mashed potatoes on the stovetop.
Remember, salt can always be added to your potatoes in the microwave to taste at the end, but you can’t remove too much salt. Use sparingly at first.
If you have any leftover mashed potatoes you can follow our easy instructions on how to reheat mashed potatoes.
Recipe variation ideas
• Add chives
• Mince fresh green onion and sprinkle them on top
• Sauté spinach and fold into the potatoes (we didn’t like the texture, but it seems to be popular)
• Add in a tablespoon of sour cream and combine
• For a rustic texture, don’t peel the potatoes
• Use half-and-half instead of milk for richer potatoes
If you don’t have a potato masher don’t worry about it, there are other options. You can use a fork and mash the potatoes.
You can also use a stiff whisk to mash your potatoes. Just press down on the potatoes and then start stirring them with the whisk.
- 3 large potatoes
- 1/3 c milk
- 2 T butter
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Wash and dry the potatoes.
- Peel the potatoes and slice them into 1/4" chunks.
- Place the potato chunks in a large microwave-safe bowl.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap tightly. Poke a few holes in it.
- Cook on high in the microwave for 7 minutes.
- Using potholders carefully remove the bowl from the microwave and carefully remove the plastic wrap. Be careful because there will be steam.
- The potatoes should be fork-tender. If they are not, cover the bowl and cook the potatoes for another 2 minutes and check them again. When the potatoes are fork-tender, move on to the next step.
- Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes until they are smooth.
- Add in the butter, and milk.
- Stir to fully combine.
- Add salt and pepper to taste as desired.
- Serve hot.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 216Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 122mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 4gSugar: 2gProtein: 5g
If you are looking for a quick and easy side dish that still actually tastes good make these microwave mashed potatoes.
No one will ever have a clue that you whipped these up in the microwave. They will taste just as good as stovetop mashed potatoes.