If you are looking for a creamy and delicious spinach side dish, this is the perfect recipe for you.
Now we love cheese in this household so we really amped up the cheese in this recipe.
Consider this recipe as a foundation. You can add and subtract ingredients to your heart’s content.
Oh and we used whole milk in the recipe but you could substitute half and half if you would prefer.
Tips and variations for this recipe
- We used fresh spinach because just love the taste of sauteed spinach but you could just as easily substitute frozen spinach. If you do use frozen spinach be very sure to squeeze as much water out of it as possible.
- While we used whole milk in the recipe you could make it an even richer tasting side dish by using heavy cream instead. It will taste amazing but of course be even richer and fattening.
- I am a big fan of red onion but if you don’t have that on hand feel free to use whatever type of onion that you have on hand. This would also be excellent with sauteed shallots.
Check out these articles:
- What Is Broccolini? (broccolini vs broccoli)
- How to Saute Garlic
- How to Saute Mushrooms
- How to Saute Spinach
Easy Cheesy Creamed Spinach Recipe
Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Creamed spinach made with fresh sauteed spinach, parmesan cheese, and sauteed garlic and onions is a tasty side dish.
- 1 ¾ c milk
- 2 ½ lbs fresh spinach
- 2 T minced garlic
- ¼ c minced red onion
- 3 T butter
- 3 T flour
- 1 c grated parmesan cheese
- ½ t ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add spinach and cook until wilted, about 1-2 minutes. Drain the spinach into a colander and rinse with cold water. Squeeze as much water out of the cooked spinach as possible.
- Add butter, garlic, and red onion to a skillet over medium heat. Saute until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add milk, flour, cheese, and cumin to the skillet. Cook stirring occasionally until the cheese melts and the mixture is smooth.
- Add salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Fold in the spinach and simmer over medium heat until the mixture thickens.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 217Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 34mgSodium: 553mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 4gSugar: 1gProtein: 13g
How to Cook Turkey Bacon in 4 Simple Ways
Texas Roadhouse Seasoned Rice Recipe
How To Cook Carrots In The Microwave
Bacon Deviled Eggs (The best recipe ever!)
Roasted Parmesan Green Beans
Jackpot Biscuit-Cornbread Stuffing
Easy Oven-Roasted Zucchini & Tomatoes Recipe With Restaurant-Quality Flavor!
The Perfect Side: Bright, Tangy, Crisp Apple Carrot Slaw Makes Entreés Sing!
How to Cook Beets in the Microwave
How to Grill Pineapple and Wow Your Guests
Fresh Ginger Green Beans Recipe
How to Make a Baked Potato in the Oven