This is our easy banana pancakes recipe. When it comes to cooking we strive to find the balance between delicious food and simplicity. Most of the time, anyway.
I love pancakes.
They are such comfort food. If it has been a long day, pancakes for dinner are so soothing for the soul.
On those days when we have some bananas that are starting to turn brown, we mush them up and make banana pancakes.
Recently, we ran out of baking mix so Andi tried to make pancakes from scratch.
It didn’t go well. We will leave it at that. [Editor’s Note: Not everything goes as planned in the Chew kitchen, okay?? Sometimes pancakes taste like cement.]
In this house, we are big fans of using baking mixes. You can buy Aunt Jemima, Bisquick or whatever brand you like.
We tend to buy it from Aldi and they have their own brand. You will notice in the recipe below, I left that ingredient a bit generic.
The recipe is basically the same no matter the brand, but to be on the safe side, consult the back of the box before you get started.
- Don’t over-mix the batter. If you do, the consistency of the pancakes will be weird. You want some bubbles in the batter. That helps them turn out fluffy. We did learn from the ol’ gal herself that you shouldn’t sift biscuit mix.
- If your baking mix is old, you can add half a teaspoon of baking powder to the recipe. This will help bring it back to life.
- Don’t make your pancakes too big in the pan. Big pancakes are fun but they are hard to flip.
The bottom line
We’ve discovered that from-scratch pancakes are more of a thing than we anticipated.
There are plenty of recipes that use whipped eggs to help make them fluffy, but overbeating the batter is a real problem.
Our first venture into scratch-made pancakes was a major fail, but it could be because we used oat milk instead of dairy, and it made the batter too heavy.
Turns out that pancakes come out pretty good with a biscuit mix. Hope you enjoyed our tweaks here for added flavor.
What’s your favorite pancake recipe? Let us know in the comments!
Easy Banana Pancakes Recipe
This is our recipe for making banana pancakes the easy way. We use a baking mix.
- 1 c milk
- 1/2 c ripe banana, mashed well
- 1 large egg
- 1 T sugar
- 1/2 T vanilla extract
- 1/4 t cinnamon
- 1 c baking mix
- Mash the banana.
- In a mixing bowl combine the baking mix and cinnamon.
- In another large bowl combine the milk, mashed bananas, egg, and vanilla.
- Slowly pour the baking mix and cinnamon into the milk mixture whisking to combine as you go. Don't over mix.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add a pat of butter or oil to the hot skillet.
- Pour ¼ c of the pancake batter into the skillet.
- When the pancake is starting to bubble and the edges look golden, flip the pancake. A tip to know when the pancake is ready to flip is to watch for bubbles that are popping. Also, those edges should be golden. This should take about 5 minutes before you need to flip.
- Cook pancake for another 3 minutes until both sides are golden brown.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 144Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 35mgSodium: 289mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 1gSugar: 7gProtein: 4g