If you have ever been to Texas Roadhouse you know how divine their green beans are. This is why we had to figure out exactly how to make the Texas Roadhouse green bean recipe.
Eating out can be costly, especially for an entire family.
If you are having a special family dinner and want to surprise your loved ones with a special side dish, then this is the perfect green beans recipe.
Why you should rinse your green beans
Don’t just drain the cans of green beans. Also make sure to rinse them under cold water.
Rinsing them will remove excess salt and any potential starch. Also, if there is a hint of metallic flavor that extra rinse will get rid of it.
Cooks Illustrated ran tests and proved that rinsing canned beans can significantly reduce the sodium found in the beans.
How to perfectly cook diced bacon
Dice the bacon – If you dice the bacon while it is cold, it will be easier to handle.
Allow the bacon to come to room temperature – Allowing the fat in the bacon to come to room temperature before cooking allows it return to its natural state. It will fry much better this way. This should only take about 5 minutes.
Start with a cold pan – Add a teaspoon of canola oil and diced bacon to a cold flat pan. Turn the heat to medium and allow the bacon pieces to cook. Adding bacon to an already hot pan runs the risk of scorching the bacon.
Cook bacon – Cook the bacon pieces for about 6 minutes or until the bacon is golden brown. (Note: for this recipe you don’t want the bacon to be too crispy)
I learned all that I know about cooking bacon from my mama, from experimenting and especially from The Bacon Bible
Why I added garlic to the recipe
The original Texas Roadhouse green bean recipe doesn’t call for garlic at all. However, I believe that garlic enhances the flavor profile of this recipe. While adding it is purely optional, it is worth trying.
Are canned green beans already cooked?
Yes, green beans in the can are pre-cooked prior to being canned. However, while you can eat them straight out of the can, most people prefer to at least heat them up first. This is entirely your choice and it isn’t harmful to eat cold green beans out of a can.
What kind of green beans should I use?
For the Texas Roadhouse green bean recipe, you want to buy fresh cut canned green beans. Make sure that you do not buy french style green beans for this recipe.
How to reheat Texas Roadhouse green beans?
The best way to reheat this recipe is in a skillet. Add the green beans to a skillet and allow them to simmer for about 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. If the beans are dry add 3 tablespoons of water to the mixture.
What kind of onion is used in the Texas Roadhouse green bean recipe?
The traditional version of this recipe calls for white onion. If you are feeling adventurous you can experiment with yellow onion or even purple onion. Sweet yellow onions are a favorite type of onion for a great deal of Texas cooks.
I actually prefer it in this recipe as an alternative.
- 2 16 oz cans green beans
- 4 oz bacon
- 1 t canola oil
- ¼ c onions, diced
- 1 t garlic, minced (optional)
- 1/2 c water
- 1 T sugar
- 1 dash pepper
- ½ t salt
- Prepare the green beans – Open and drain the green beans. Rinse the green beans under cold water. Set the bean aside.
- Prepare the onion and garlic – Mince enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon. (Garlic is optional) Dice enough onion to measure ¼ cup.
- Mix the liquids – Mix together the water, sugar, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Prepare the bacon – Remove the raw bacon from the refrigerator and dice the bacon into small even size pieces. Allow the bacon to set at room temperature for 5 minutes.
- Pan fry the bacon – Add the canola oil and diced bacon to a cold frying pan. Heat the pan to medium temperature. Allow bacon to cook for 3 minutes. Stir bacon and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Bacon is done when it is golden brown.
- Cook onions – Add diced onions to the pan with the bacon. Cook the onions for about 3 minutes. Continually stir the mixture. The onions are done when they are translucent.
- Cook garlic – Add garlic to the pan with the bacon and onions. Continue to stir the mixture and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Add liquids – Add the mixture of liquids and the rinsed green beans to the pan with bacon. Bring to a boil.
- Simmer – Once mixture is boiling turn the pan to a low simmer. Simmer the mixture for 10 minutes.
This recipe is wonderful the next day. It makes great leftovers. Just be sure to reheat them first.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 161Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 19mgSodium: 517mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 5gSugar: 8gProtein: 9g
What to serve with Texas Roadhouse Green Beans
Just last night we went to dinner at a different restaurant and I asked for green beans as my side. They were all out. I was so disappointed.
While this is disappointing, with this recipe we can just make our own tasty green beans at home.