Are you looking for a hearty breakfast casserole? This sausage potato casserole is a perfect brunch food. It is easy to make and so deliciously cheesy.
With just a few simple ingredients you can whip up an awesome brunch casserole for the family or a group of friends. You can also prep this casserole in advance and then cook it fresh in the morning.
It is such a versatile casserole because you can tweak the ingredients to suit your tastebuds. We have even experimented with adding broccoli to it to fit in some vegetables. Dream it up and add it in. You can have a unique dish every single time.
What is homemade sausage casserole
This is a casserole dish that is perfect for breakfast but can really be eaten anytime. It is made with breakfast sausage, potatoes, eggs, milk, cheese, and chives. Don’t feel limited to these ingredients. You can add all types of vegetables and even other meats to this recipe.
How to store sausage potato casserole
You can store any leftover sausage potato casserole in the refrigerator for up to 4 days after it is cooked. Allow the casserole to cool and then cover the casserole dish with cling wrap and place it in the fridge.
When you are ready to reheat the leftovers, we recommend that you only reheat a serving at a time or the amount that you plan to eat at that moment.
Recipe variations for sausage potato casserole
- Try different types of cheese with this casserole. Consider using half cheddar cheese and half shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Add additional meats to the recipe. This recipe is fantastic with bacon and sausage. To add bacon to the recipe cook the bacon until it is crispy. Then break the bacon into pieces and add it to the skillet when the onion is nearly done cooking.
- Add additional vegetables to the dish. This dish is fantastic with diced bell pepper. We prefer to use red or yellow peppers with this dish. To do this add the diced bell pepper when you add the onion and potato to the skillet. This way the peppers are sauted perfectly.
Other cheesy casseroles you may love
How do you make homemade sausage potato casserole
Below are detailed instructions on how to create the breakfast casserole. You will find measurements and temperatures in the recipe card below.
Step 1: Start with prepping your ingredients. Be sure to scrub those potatoes really well. You don’t need to peel the potatoes for this recipe but you can if you would like.
Cut the potatoes into bite-size pieces. You want to cut them small enough that people can easily eat them but if you cut them too small they may disintegrate when cooking.
Next, dice the onion. We love to use a vegetable chopper but however, you choose to dice it, make sure they are small diced pieces. We call for the entire small onion in the recipe but use less of it if you prefer.
Finally, chop the chives into small round pieces.
Step 2: Cook the sausage on a large skillet. Cook the sausage until it is no longer pink. Use a spatula to break up the sausage as it is cooking. Break it up until it is small chunks. Be sure to stir the sausage often so that it cooks evenly.
Step 3: Once the sausage is done add in the diced potatoes and the diced onion pieces. Stir and cook until the onions are soft. The potatoes will finish cooking in the oven.
Step 4: Whisk the milk and eggs together in a medium-size bowl. Once they are mixed together completely and thoroughly add in the cheese (be sure to keep some aside for the top of the dish) and gently stir to mix it all together. Add dashes of salt and pepper as desired.
Step 5: Spread the sausage mixture from the skillet in the casserole dish. Spread it around as evenly as possible. Then pour the egg and cheese mixture across the top as evenly as possible. If it seems like there is more egg on side of the dish than the other use a serving spoon to spread it all around until it is even. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top.
Step 6: Bake until the cheese is bubbly and eggs are cooked through
Hearty breakfast casserole This sausage potato casserole recipe is a perfect brunch food. It is easy to make and so deliciously cheesy.
- Non-stick cooking spray
- ½ lb. bulk breakfast sausage
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 large russet or Idaho potato, diced
- 2 large eggs
- 3 T. whole milk
- ¾ c. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- 2 T. fresh chives, finely chopped
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Prep the ingredients - Wash and dry the vegetables. Then dice the onion and potato. Shred the cheese as needed. Chop the chives.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Spray an 8 x 8 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat.
- Once the skillet is hot add the sausage. Cook it until it is browned. Use a wooden spoon or spatula to break up the sausage into small pieces. It should cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the diced onion and diced potatoes to the skillet. Stir and cook until the onions are soft. Stir occasionally. It should cook for about 7 minutes.
- While the onions are cooking whisk together the eggs and milk in a medium-size bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste. After these are mixed together thoroughly add in ½ cup of cheddar cheese and combine.
- Pour the sausage mixture from the skillet into the prepared baking dish. Spread it around so that it is evenly distributed. Pour the egg mixture evenly over the top. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes or until the eggs and potatoes are cooked through.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American