Listen, I get that turkey bacon is not the same thing as regular bacon; however, you can prepare it to be as crispy as regular bacon. Ever since I learned how to cook crispy turkey bacon, I simply can’t resist having it every weekend with a generous helping of buttery mashed potatoes – it truly tastes divine! I also love adding it to my BLTs, cold sandwiches, and even salads.
So, if you want to learn how to cook turkey bacon, then read on to find out!
How to Cook Turkey Bacon
You can cook turkey bacon in your oven, the microwave, or a skillet. Let’s explore each method in detail:
Crispy Turkey Bacon in the Oven
If you want turkey bacon that’s as crispy as regular bacon, then you need to cook it in your oven. Here’s how you can cook turkey bacon in an oven:
Things You Will Need
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Fold a sheet of aluminum foil and place it on a baking sheet.
- Put the turkey bacon strips on the foil and place the baking sheet in your preheated oven.
- Bake the turkey bacon till it’s brown and crispy. This will take about 8 to 10 minutes. The sides of the strips will dry and become crunchy, indicating that they are ready to be flipped.
- Use a pair of tongs to flip the bacon strips over. This makes the turkey bacon crunchier.
- Bake the bacon strips for an additional 5 to 10 minutes, depending on how crispy you want them to be.
- Wear an oven mitt to carefully remove the turkey bacon strips from your oven and serve them right away!
Pro Tip: If you want your turkey bacon to have that signature wavy texture, simply fold a sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil into solid ridges and place your turkey bacon strips over them before putting them in the oven. The bacon strips will hold the shape of the aluminum ridges as they bake and have that unmistakable wavy texture, which will make them crispier!
In the Microwave
If you want your turkey bacon to have a chewy texture, then the best way to ensure that is to cook it in a microwave. Here’s how you can cook turkey bacon in your microwave:
Things You Will Need
- Line a microwave-safe platter with a paper towel and put a single layer of turkey bacon slices on it. You can microwave 4 slices in one go.
- Put the platter in the microwave and set your microwave to 100% power.
- Microwave the bacon in 30-second increments for about 2 to 3 minutes or until it’s crispy.
- Carefully remove the hot platter of cooked turkey bacon from your microwave and serve the bacon slices while they’re hot!
Glazed Turkey Bacon in the Oven
If you want your turkey bacon to have some extra flavor, then you can glaze it before baking it in the oven. Here’s how to make glazed turkey bacon:
Things You Will Need
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Take a wax paper and lay it nicely on your baking sheet.
- Place the turkey bacon slices on the wax paper in a single layer. Make sure that the slices aren’t overlapping as this will prevent them from becoming crispy.
- Take a bowl and measure out ¼ cup of light brown sugar and 3 tablespoons of pure maple syrup into it.
- Dissolve the sugar in the syrup with a whisk or a spoon.
- Take a pastry brush, dip it in the glaze and generously cover the turkey bacon slices with it. You can even drizzle the glaze with a spoon.
- Sprinkle some freshly ground pepper on the turkey bacon.
- Place the baking sheet in your preheated oven and bake the bacon until it’s reached the desired crispiness. It will take about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Use oven mitts to take out the prepared glazed turkey bacon and serve it right away!
In a Skillet
You can take the traditional route and cook turkey bacon in a skillet. Simply take a few slices of turkey bacon and heat them in a single layer in your skillet over medium flame. Cook them for about 7 to 10 minutes and make sure to flip the slices over after every 2 to 3 minutes to cook both sides evenly.
Does Turkey Bacon Taste Like Regular Bacon?
While turkey bacon doesn’t have the same taste or texture as regular bacon, it has its own smoky, salty, meaty and even a little sweet flavor that many people simply can’t resist! Additionally, when you make turkey bacon in the oven it becomes as crispy as regular bacon. It tastes amazing in a BLT or a club sandwich!
Does Turkey Bacon Get Crispy?
You can make turkey bacon as crispy as regular bacon by simply baking it. Just make sure to flip the bacon over halfway through the baking process as that allows it to become crispy from both sides. Additionally, fold your aluminum foil like an accordion by making inch tall ridges. Place the bacon strips on the ridges and bake them. They will be super crispy! Just make sure you don’t overlap the strips or they won’t crisp up.
Is Turkey Bacon Already Cooked?
Turkey bacon is cooked and processed before packaging. This is done to make the bacon slices crispier. Depending on the brand, turkey bacon is cured, uncured, chopped, chopped, formed into strips, or even smoked.
How to Store Turkey Bacon
Always check the sell-by date of turkey bacon to ensure that you’re getting the freshest one. Always store unopened and opened bacon in the fridge or freezer. Wrap the opened package in a paper towel so that during storage, the towel can absorb the moisture and keep your bacon fresh. To maximize its shelf life, you can store it in a heavy-duty freezer bag or wrap it tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil. To store cooked turkey bacon, put it in a shallow airtight container or wrap it in heavy-duty plastic wrap or aluminum foil as tightly as possible and keep it in your fridge.
How Long Does Cooked Turkey Bacon Last in the Fridge?
When stored properly, cooked turkey bacon can easily last in the fridge for up to 4 to 5 days. However, the longer you store cooked turkey bacon, the likelier it is to lose its crispiness. Moreover, unopened bacon will easily last for 1 to 2 weeks in your fridge and 6 to 8 months in your freezer. Opened and uncooked bacon will last for a week in the fridge and up to 6 months in your freezer.
The Bottom Line
I hope you enjoyed reading this guide on how to cook turkey bacon. Do try the 4 methods I have mentioned above to cook crispy turkey bacon. Make sure to store your unopened and cooked turkey bacon the right way so that you can enjoy it for as long as possible!