Ground beef is such a versatile meat that you can make endless recipes with quickly. Recently it was on sale and we stocked up.
That is when we needed to come up with various recipes right in a row to use it up.
We decided on a ground beef casserole with potatoes and oh my was it delicious.
Tips on making this recipe
- Be sure to cut your potatoes in as thin of slices as possible. This will reduce the baking time in the oven. You can use a mandoline slicer to get evenly cut slices.
- We use a 90/10 fat ratio ground beef in our casseroles. This cuts down on the amount of fat but it is a bit more pricey.
- Cook your ground beef until there is no more pink but don’t overcook it. You will be baking this dish in the oven so the ground beef will be cooked even further.
- Be sure to drain the ground beef fat as completely as possible. I like to drain the ground beef into a strainer and then rinse the cooked meat to rinse off that extra bit of fat.
- Use fresh mushrooms, not canned mushrooms. I am biased here but there is such a difference in flavor.
- While we kept this recipe simple, feel free to add in more vegetables if you have them. Add corn, carrots, peas or anything that you suit your fancy.
- You could make this recipe with ground turkey instead of ground beef.
- Freshly minced garlic is darn tasty but it does take quite a bit of time to peel and mince garlic. This is why we keep a jar of minced garlic in the fridge and just use that.
- If you have a dairy allergy you could add broth or water instead of milk to the recipe.
- If you don’t have russet potatoes you can substitute other types of potatoes. If you want to switch up the flavor a bit, use sweet potatoes.
- Slice the mushrooms into thick slices because thin slices tend to disintegrate while baking. If the mushrooms fall apart during the baking process, just know that the flavor will still be there and it is worth it.
Do you need to wash beef before cooking?
It is recommended that you don’t wash ground beef before cooking. Doing this can actually spread bacteria.
Cooking beef until it is fully done is the best way to ward off bacteria instead of spreading it.
How to store a casserole
The best way to store a casserole is to cover it with cling wrap or transfer it to an airtight container and place it in the fridge.
Whatever method that you choose, just be sure to fully wrap the casserole. It will last 3-4 days in the fridge.
Ground Beef Casserole With Potatoes
This ground beef casserole with potatoes is quite easy to make. It has limited ingredients but it is hearty and very filling.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 c sliced potatoes
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 small yellow onion
- ¾ c milk
- 1 c shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ¼ c mushrooms
- 1 T garlic, minced
- The first step is to preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Dice the onion into small pieces. We don’t want large onion pieces in this recipe but we do want the flavor.
- Peel and mince the garlic. Tip: We keep minced garlic in the refrigerator.
- Next, we need to cook the ground beef. Add the ground beef and onion to a skillet and saute over medium-high heat until it is browned. Be careful not to overcook the meat because it will also be cooked in the oven in a later step. Drain the excess fat and liquid. Add back to the pan.
- Add garlic to the pan with the ground beef and cook it for 1 minute. Turn off the heat and remove the pan from the heat.
- Prepare the potatoes by washing and drying them. Then thinly slice the potatoes in even slices as thin as possible. We love to use a mandoline slicer for this step.
- Prepare the mushrooms next. Wash and dry your mushrooms. Slice the mushrooms into thick slices.
- Step six: In a medium mixing bowl, combine the mushroom soup, milk, and mushrooms and salt and pepper to taste.
- Alternate layers of the ground beef mixture, potatoes and soup mixture in the pan. (Note to not add the cheese at this step.)
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake the mixture in the oven for 1 to ½ hours until the potatoes are tender.
- Remove the foil and sprinkle the cheese over the top of the casserole.
- Return the pan, uncovered, to the oven and make until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 357Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 80mgSodium: 514mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 25g
What to serve with Ground Beef Casserole
A delicious casserole is fantastic but we still want to have a side dish. However, what to serve with a casserole can be a challenging question.
These are our favorite side dishes to serve with a beef casserole.
Monday 30th of March 2020
This recipe does not state how much garlic to use.
Monday 29th of June 2020
Thanks for that note. We are updating it now. It should be 1 T garlic, minced.