Are you curious if you can roast zucchini in the air fryer?
Yes, you sure can.
I am gonna share my roasted zucchini recipe with ya and I make this one in the air fryer.
We love to cook in the air fryer.
We make baked potatoes in the air fryer for lunch multiple times a week.
We cook quite a bit of zucchini these days.
Growing up, I wouldn’t touch it at all but now I am always on the hunt for creative ways to cook it.
One of my favorite go-to dinner ideas, when I am tired, is this zucchini and goat cheese pasta dish.
Recently after grating zucchini, I made up this zucchini cheesy fritter recipe.
So yeah, I am a fan NOW.
There is a fine line between undercooked zucchini and mushy zucchini.
Thinking back to my childhood, I think the texture is what really unsettled me.
When it comes to cooking zucchini, be comfortable experimenting.
If you goof up, don’t worry.
Just try it again.
When I am experimenting with cooking a new vegetable, I start with small batches.
Small batches are so helpful because if I don’t like it, I don’t feel as guilty about starting over.
Of course, this is also why I am always cleaning the kitchen.
An advantage to roasted zucchini in the air fryer is that it is less likely to get soggy.
Since the air fryer rack has slits or holes in it by design, the zucchini is being cooked from all sides because of the air circulation.
A more even roast like this means less soggy zucchini.
How to season roasted zucchini
I keep my roasted zucchini seasoning quite simple.
I use olive oil, Italian seasoning blend, onion powder, and garlic powder.
You could also sprinkle grated parmesan cheese on top of it after it is roasted.
The zucchini seasoning options are honestly unlimited.
How to cut zucchini for roasting
When it comes to cutting zucchini to roast in the air fryer, there are a few important tips to keep in mind.
First, you need to make sure that your zucchini wedges fit in your air fryer.
Air fryers come in many different shapes and sizes. So in my case, I make my zucchini wedges about 3” long.
That works perfectly and also serves up well on the plate.
The second thing to keep in mind is that the size of your zucchini wedges will impact cook time.
If they are super skinny they will cook faster than if they are larger.
So when considering cook times, keep this in mind.
If this is your first time roasting zucchini in the air fryer, you may want to check on your roasted vegetables after 7 or 8 minutes.
Do you have to peel the zucchini?
I don’t recommend peeling the zucchini before roasting it.
Not only does the skin offer a bit of texture but it also helps keep the zucchini from turning to mush.
How to cut tomatoes for roasting
When it comes to roasting tomatoes in the air fryer, I keep things super simple.
It all depends on the size of the tomato.
If I am roasting a smaller tomato such as a roma, I will cut it in half and roast it like that.
If I am roasting a larger tomato I will cut it into quarters.
When roasting tomatoes it is important to keep in mind that they will shrink up during the cooking process.
So if you start off with pieces that are small they will basically disintegrate during the roasting process.
So when cutting the tomatoes, keep in mind that they could reduce by as much as half.
Tips and tricks
- When placing the zucchini and tomatoes in the air fryer, place the cut side up. They will roast better that way and be easier to handle.
- Use silicone tongs to put the veggies in and out of the air fryer.
- You may need to adjust the amount of olive oil based upon the size of your vegetables. So be flexible there and use what you need to coat them.
- Your zucchini may be done before the tomatoes are done. If you feel like your tomatoes need more time, no worries. Just pull out whatever is done and place them on a plate and cover that plate to keep the veggies warm.
- Firm tomatoes roast best.
- When roasting veggies in the air fryer, I don’t toss them mid-process like I would if roasting veggies in the oven. You can just leave them to cook and they will turn out deliciously roasted.
Roasted Zucchini With Tomatoes (Air Fryer Recipe)
How to roast zucchini in an air fryer. We roasted tomatoes and zucchini together.
- 2 zucchinis
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 1/2 T Italian seasoning
- ½ t salt
- ½ t onion powder
- ½ t garlic powder
- Wash and dry the zucchini and tomatoes.
- Cut the tomato into ¼ piece wedges.
- Trim the ends off of the zucchini. Then cut it in half. Then cut it into quarter piece wedges.
- Add the olive oil and seasonings to a medium-size mixing bowl.
- Add in the zucchini and tomatoes.
- Stir to coat.
- Preheat the air fryer to 375 degrees.
- Add in the vegetables and roast for 15 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 95Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 299mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 2g
Roasting zucchini in the air fryer is a great way to use up that excess zucchini without heating up the entire house.
This is such an easy side dish to make and most everyone loves the heck out of it.
I love roasting zucchini and tomatoes together.
They complement one another perfectly.