This red cabbage slaw recipe is easy to make. What’s more, it will look absolutely exquisite on your dining table!
It’s a crunchy side dish that’s satisfying to eat and it’s good for you and your family at the same time.
When I was growing up, it seemed that coleslaw was soggy and ultimately gross.
Now that I’m all grown up, I’m discovering so many ways to make coleslaws. Finally, you can come up with slaw that isn’t soggy.
- Be sure that your knife is sharp and large enough.
- Be sure to cut away from your body and not towards your body.
- Be sure to wash and dry the cabbage before you start cutting it. Dirt gets stuck in those outer cabbage leaves, so be thorough.
On the other hand, it’s important to dry the cabbage before you cut it because if it’s wet the knife could slip.
Remove the outer layers of the cabbage so that you see fresh cabbage leaves.
Tips on preparing cilantro
The important note to keep in mind with cilantro is that it can hold a lot of dirt. This means that washing your cilantro thoroughly is quite crucial.
After washing the cilantro, be sure to dry it thoroughly.
Also, you don’t have to remove cilantro from the stems.
The stems are tender, so you can just mince the cilantro with the stems.
Tips on preparing parsley
Again, like with most herbs, it’s crucial that you wash the parsley completely and thoroughly.
As noted in the video below, you can use a kitchen towel or a salad spinner to dry the parsley.
Dry it as much as possible before you start chopping it.
The video also shares some great tips on how to prep the parsley before you start chopping it.
Red cabbage slaw recipe
This coleslaw recipe is made with red cabbage, carrots a few seasonings. This is a coleslaw without mayonnaise.
- 4 c red cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 c carrot, shredded
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 T white wine vinegar
- 2 t honey
- 1/2 t each salt and pepper
- 1/2 c finely chopped onion.
- 4 T fresh cilantro
- 4 T fresh parsley
- Shred the cabbage and carrots and set aside.
- Finely chop the onion and set aside.
- Mince the cilantro and parsley and set aside.
- Add all ingredients except for the cilantro and parsley to a large bowl.
- Using tongs blend the mixture well until the cabbage is fully coated.
- Top the slaw with cilantro and parsley.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 91Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 136mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 3gSugar: 7gProtein: 2g
The bottom line
Red cabbage slaw is an epic side for so many dishes. For one, you can serve it alongside a Cuban sandwich or a BBQ dinner!
Ultimately, red cabbage slaw is best served when it’s slightly chilled!