Yes, you can learn how to make Popeye’s Cajun fries recipe right in the comfort of your own kitchen.
For years, I didn’t eat at Popeye’s. I had it in my head that the food was way too spicy for me. It’s pretty darn spicy, but you can get the non-spicy version of mostly everything.
A Popeye’s opened up in our area and some friends invited me to join them there for lunch. I went and was flabbergasted with the delicious array of flavors.
That day, I realized that I had been missing out on years of yummy!
The only issue that I had at that point is that the place was always insanely busy. It became a bit frustrating to wait in line for so long.
So then the question became: can I replicate some of these flavors?
Well, yes! And I most certainly did.
Table Of Contents
What kind of potato makes the best french fry?
I think that russet potatoes make the best french fries.
Russet potatoes have a high starch content which makes them perfect for frying and baking. There’s a reason that our favorite restaurants use them for their french fries. They really are the best.
How to prepare potatoes for the best french fry
Yes, you can just cut the potatoes into french fries and cook them right away. They should be delicious by default, but there are a few things that you can do to make them even better.
- Wash and dry the potatoes thoroughly. Use a brush to scrub them clean.
- Cut away any dark spots or eyes from the potatoes.
- Peel the potatoes. Now, I like to leave bits of the skin on here and there. I like the texture and flavor that it adds but that is for you to decide.
- Prepare a bowl with cold water. I like to fill a mixing bowl with cold water and add a few ice cubes to it for good measure.
- Cut the potato in ¼” thick fries. Be sure that they aren’t too short.
- Please cut fries into the bowl of cold water as you go.
- Once you’re done cutting all of the fries, add a couple of tablespoons of lemon juice to the bowl of water.
- Place the bowl in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Remove the potatoes from the bowl when you are ready to cook them. Be sure to dry them thoroughly before seasoning them.
How to cut potatoes into the perfect french fry
- Scrub the potato and wash it thoroughly. Then Dry it completely.
- Peel the potatoes and cut away any bad spots.
- Cut off a slice across the length of the potato. This is so that you have a flat base for the potato to lay flat on the cutting board. This makes the process of cutting fries much safer.
- Slice the potato lengthwise into ¼” slices.
- Stack a couple of potato pieces on top of one another. Cut into ¼” thick strips.
Tips from the pros
- Popeye’s french fries are not all that thick. They aren’t as thinly cut as a McDonald’s french fries, but they aren’t steak fries either. So when cutting the fries, cut them to be ¼” thick.
- Cut your fries into even sizes. The more evenly cut they are, the more that they will cook easily. This way, you’re far less likely to end up with undercooked or overcooked fries.
- After you’ve soaked your potato dry them as completely as possible. Don’t be shy here; dry them well! I like to use a paper towel to start and finish off with a kitchen towel.
- Add more chili powder and paprika if you like a spicier flavor.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 300Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 474mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 6gSugar: 3gProtein: 7g
Sometimes you can’t get out of the house to go pick up food; or you just live too far away from a Popeye’s.
If you find yourself in that situation but want to make delicious french fries at home, then give this Popeye’s fries recipe a try.
It does take a bit of patience, but I promise you that they are worth it!