It is difficult to beat having a slice of a hot and buttery piece of cornbread with, well, pretty much anything.
Then if you add some cheddar cheese and a hint of jalapeño, you have something seriously darn tasty and filling, and relatively easy and cheap to make.
So check out our jalapeño cheddar cornbread recipe below.
This recipe is cooked in an iron skillet because we believe that makes the absolute best cornbread.
When I first started cooking, I actually avoided the cast iron skillet. I didn’t fully understand the value and saw it as old-fashioned.
However, I now understand why it was the only skillet that I ever saw my mamaw use. With a cast iron skillet you can easily go from the stovetop to the oven and back.
Also, a seasoned cast iron skillet just adds a bit more flavor to a cornbread recipe such as this one. (Want to learn more about cast iron pans?
Here’s an in-depth article from Cooking Issues.)
- 1 c. cornmeal
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- 2 T. sugar
- 4 t. baking powder
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1 egg
- 1 c. buttermilk
- ½ c. shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/3 c. sour cream
- 1/4 c. vegetable oil
- 1 small can diced jalapeños
- 1/2 c. frozen corn, thawed
- 4 T. minced scallion
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Grease the 8-inch cast iron skillet.
- Except the jalapeños and corn, combine all ingredients in a large glass bowl.
- Use a mixer or stir vigorously with a fork to mix in all dry ingredients.
- Slowly fold in jalapenos and corn.
- Pour all ingredients into the cast iron skillet.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- You can adjust the heat. Less heat? Use half a can of jalapeños. More kick? Add a dash of cayenne pepper to the batter OR add ¼ t. of chopped FRESH jalapeño.
- You can use canned corn instead of frozen corn if you prefer. Just be sure to drain it.
How to know when cornbread is done?
Cornbread will form a golden and slightly crispy crust on the top. Also, take a toothpick and stick it in the middle of the cornbread. If it comes out clean, it is fully cooked.
If it comes out with batter on it, give it a couple of more minutes in the oven.
Read about how to store cornbread. You can store cornbread in the cupboard for 2 days. Cornbread can be stored in the fridge for up 2 weeks.
Also, you can freeze cornbread for 3 to 4 months.
When it comes to serving the cornbread, I prefer to serve it directly from the cast iron skillet. Just place that skillet on a trivet right in the center of the table.
It makes a beautiful presentation. Make sure to serve it hot so that the cheese is gooey and stringy.