Baked Avocado Fries Recipe
We are of different minds in our household on avocado fries. Some of us love them and one of us find hot avocados odd. So before you try this recipe, do keep that in mind. My thoughts are trying it before you dismiss it.
If you are looking for a unique snack for a movie night or side dish for pizza, consider making avocado fries.
How to know when an avocado is firm?
When picking out an avocado start with a visual inspection. While color isn’t always the best indicator with picking out ripe avocado it is a great place to start. Check to see if the avocado has dark skin and not green.
Next, pick up avocado and give it a gentle squeeze. If the avocado gives slightly to the pressure of your hand, it is ripe. If it is squishy feeling it is overripe. It is firm and doesn’t give it isn’t ripe yet.
For avocado fries, you want to pick avocados that have a slight give to them when you squeeze them but don’t feel squishy.
What is panko?
Panko is a Japanese style breadcrumb that is often used in coating fried foods. It is made from dried bread that is lacking a crust. It is airier than traditional breadcrumbs and therefore is crunchier when cooked.
Tips for avocado fries
- Be sure to leave space between the fries when they are baking. The airflow will allow for the fries to crisp instead of steam.
- The avocados should be ripe but not smushy. Smushy avocados will not hold up well to baking.
- Avocado fries are a rich snack so less is generally more. When we prepare these my eyes tend to be bigger than my stomach.
- Mix up the seasonings on this recipe. If you like spicy then consider adding in red pepper flakes.
- Oven times do vary so keep a close eye on these when you are baking them.
Baked Avocado Fries Recipe
Fresh sliced avocado coated in panko and baked until perfectly browned. This recipe includes a simple dipping sauce.
- 2 firm-ripe avocados
- ¾ c all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 ¼ c panko
- ¼ t smoked paprika
- 3 T grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 T sour cream
- 1 ½ t garlic powder
- 1 dash Sriracha sauce
- 1 dash salt and pepper to taste
Instructions for avocado fries:
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Peel and pit the avocado. Then slice it into lengthwise into ½ inch wedges.
- In 3 separate shallow bowls add in the flour, egg, and panko.
- Beat the egg lightly in its bowl.
- Add cheese, paprika, salt, and pepper to the bowl of flour.
- Dredge the avocado slices in the bowl of flour. Turn and coat the slices. Shake off excess.
- Dip the avocado slices in the egg.
- Dip the slice in the panko and rotate to coat.
- Place the slices on the baking sheet. Allow space between the slices.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the fries are golden brown.
Instructions for dip:
- Add the sour cream, garlic powder, Sriracha sauce, and dash of salt and pepper to a small mixing bowl.
- Stir until thoroughly combined.
- Chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 88Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 77mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 2g
Sunday 24th of May 2020
Sounds good! I will try it.
Tuesday 23rd of June 2020
Nice. Enjoy. They are a great snack.