Try this simple farro salad recipe as a hearty, filling side for chicken, fish, or pork, or eat as a hearty vegan meal on its own.
Farro is a chewy, nutty-tasting grain that encompasses three different types of wheat: spelt, einkorn, and emmer.
It requires at least 20 minutes of cooking time, and the longer you cook it, the less chewy and soft it becomes.
A little goes a long way because it is pretty rich, especially in this recipe, because we used starchy veggies.
I like to call it a better-for-you comfort food, as there are complex carbs, good fats, and whole grains here. And it’s still plenty rich, tasty, and filling.
If you don’t have these vegetables on hand, substitute things like sweet potato for the carrot, or butternut squash for the zucchini. It’s a very flexible base of grainy goodness that you can personalize to your liking.
This salad is equally good served cold or hot. I recommend that you try it both ways.
Table Of Contents
Is farro gluten-free?
No, farro is actually three types of wheat in one grain, so it is not gluten-free. If you have gluten sensitivity, you should avoid eating farro.
What is farro?
Farro is a wheat grain composed of three types of wheat: spelt, einkorn, and emmer. It has a chewy, nutty texture, and is a bit rounder than a grain of rice.
It is similar in texture to barley and similar in flavor to scottish/steel-cut oats.
It can be served hot or cold, sweet or savory, and makes a great side dish as well as a nice base for many savory flavors.
While not as popular as rice in the U.S. (yet), you can usually find one or two kinds of farro available with other grains in your local large grocery store. If you can’t find it, there are also options from Amazon.
What is the difference between pearled and semi-pearled farro?
The difference between pearled and semi-pearled farro is that semi-pearled still has part of the outer bran.
It takes longer to cook semi-pearled farro, but it retains more fiber. Think of it a little bit like the difference between brown and white rice.
Pearled farro means that all of the bran has been stripped away, and the resulting grain looks a bit shiny, like a pearl.
- 1/2 c. pearled farro, cooked
- 1/4 c. of corn, preferably removed from the cob, but frozen or canned will do as well
- 2 green onions
- Cherry tomatoes sliced in half to make 1/2 cup
- 2 T red wine or apple cider vinegar
- 1 t sugar
- 1/2 t cracked pepper
- 1/2 t salt or to taste
- Olive oil
- Optional: avocado for garnish
For the Roasted Vegetables:
- 3 carrots
- ½ zucchini or yellow squash
- ½ yellow or white onion, sliced thin
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 T olive oil
- Pepper to taste
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 F.
- Clean the squash and carrots. No need to peel.
- Cut into 2-inch sticks or coins. Slice onion thin.
- Toss the veggies with olive oil, 1/2 t salt and a few grinds of pepper.
- Add the veg to the bottom of air fryer basket in a single layer.
- Set the timer for 10 minutes. Check and toss/turn after 10 minutes. Once done, remove and set aside.
- Prepare the farro per the package instructions.
- Chop the green onions and tomatoes.
- Chunk up the avocado.
- In a large mixing bowl add the cooked farro with corn, vinegar, salt, pepper and sugar and stir to combine.
- Add in the mixed roasted veggies and combine. Top with sliced avocado if desired.
- Serve hot, room temp, or chill for 3 hours and serve cold.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 247Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 610mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 8gSugar: 8gProtein: 5g
We have really enjoyed learning how to cook farro and adding it to our main meals.
Leftover, this salad stands just fine on its own, and I enjoy it chilled with some newly grilled chicken.
Heated up, though, even for just 30 seconds, get the vegetables remoistened and the flavors come through and just sing! So good. Can you tell I love it? haha
I hope you enjoy this hearty grain-and-vegetable Farro Salad With a Roasted vegetable recipe. Let me know if you make and tweak this recipe!