These calamari steak recipes are a culinary treasure. Discover the best dishes around the web and some complementary recipes that can go great with calamari steaks!
Calamari steak is a versatile seafood with a delicate, mildly sweet taste and tender yet slightly firm texture. Calamari steak is also a blank canvas for culinary creativity and can be enjoyed in various dishes, from appetizers to main courses.
While calamari rings are a staple in many restaurants, the full potential of calamari steak is often underestimated. So, with these best calamari steak recipes, it’s time to bring this underrated ingredient into the spotlight and explore possibilities beyond the conventional.
Where To Buy Calamari Steaks
Calamari steaks are not as common in regular supermarkets as calamari rings; here are some best places to find this underrated seafood.
- Whole foods market. Upscale grocery chain with a diverse seafood selection found in major U.S. cities.
- 99 Ranch Market. The Asian supermarket chain, predominantly in California, is known for its wide seafood variety.
- Local seafood markets. Coastal city markets like Seattle’s Pike Place or NYC’s Fulton Fish Market, offering fresh, often locally-sourced seafood.
Best Calamari Steak Recipes
This Pan Fried Calamari Steaks recipe is light, flavorful, and easy to make at home. The calamari is tender, the panko crust is crispy and golden brown, and the lemon beurre blanc sauce is rich and creamy.
Ingredients include: Butter, dry white wine, lemon juice, garlic, and salt.
This dish features tender calamari steaks expertly cooked to perfection, then bathed in a luscious Thai red curry sauce. Every bite is full of savory flavor, and the recipe can be on the table in under 30 minutes.
Ingredients include: Calamari steaks, lemongrass, shallots, garlic, red curry paste, and fish sauce.
This light meal features calamari steaks that are lightly breaded, fried to golden perfection, and cooked in a lemony white wine sauce. It’s then served with roasted asparagus, which adds a fresh note to the dish.
Ingredients include: Flour, egg, Panko bread crumbs, lemon, and butter.
These tender calamari steaks are grilled to achieve a perfect smoky char. The finished seafood dish is best served with a simple lemon and parsley dressing, but feel free to pair it with your desired dipping sauce.
Ingredients include: Calamari steaks, olive oil, salt, parsley, and lemon wedges.
These delectable grilled calamari steaks featuring Mediterranean salsa are excellent for entertaining. The key to this recipe is not to overcook the calamari, so it doesn’t become tough and rubbery.
Ingredients include: Kalamata olives, cherry tomatoes, capers, lemon, and parsley.
These succulent calamari steaks are seared, paired with vibrant broccolini, and adorned with a zesty blend of lemon and capers. They can also be cooked and stored in the fridge before serving.
Ingredients include: Olive oil, Parmesan cheese, all-purpose flour, egg, and calamari steaks.
This recipe calls for Tackle Box Fish Seasoning to flavor the breading, which gives the calamari steaks a delicious and complex flavor. It’s served in a creamy lemon butter sauce and includes parmesan cheese, which gives it a crispy crust.
Ingredients include: Calamari steaks, flour, eggs, parmesan, and heavy cream.
This seafood-based salad showcases tender calamari steak with a blend of spicy and sweet flavors, from sweet chili sauce and fire-roasted red peppers. The bright colors of the veggies make this salad visually stunning.
Ingredients include: Olive oil, salt, garlic powder, pepperoncini, and red peppers.
This quick yet elegant meal combines two best of the worlds: grilled calamari steaks and creamy polenta. The whole dish is ready in under 30 minutes and finished with a yummy parsley sauce that adds a bright flavor and acidity.
Ingredients include: Calamari steak, Italian parsley, balsamic vinegar, salt, and lemon juice.
10. Breaded Calamari
This authentic Italian appetizer is straightforward to make. Start by soaking the squid in buttermilk to tenderize it, coat it in a flour-breadcrumb mixture, then fry until golden brown and crispy.
Ingredients include: Buttermilk, eggs, Tabasco, milk, and cumin.
This Japanese-inspired recipe combines tender calamari steaks breaded for a satisfying texture, while capturing the essence of Japanese cuisine. It’s perfect for people who are looking for a new and exciting seafood dish to try.
Ingredients include: Ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, molasses, soy sauce, and garlic cloves.
In just a few simple steps, you’ll transform tender calamari into a crispy and flavorful masterpiece. The recipe offers a fun spin on traditional calamari with its tasty blend of seasonings and a quick cooking process.
Ingredients include: Calamari steaks, egg, olive oil, lemon, and Italian parsley.
Marinated to perfection, these tender calamari steaks are infused with zesty lime and the subtle heat of sweet chili. The grilling process imparts a delicate char on the surface while preserving the calamari’s natural flavor.
Ingredients include: Squid steaks, sweet chili sauce, soy sauce, red pepper flakes, and garlic.
This recipe wonderfully pairs the tender calamari steak’s delicate flavor with the bold kick of the classic cocktail-inspired sauce. The two flavors meld perfectly, creating a scrumptious dish that’s sure to please.
Ingredients include: Calamari steaks, tomatoes, Sriracha hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and horseradish.
These squid steaks are coated in a crispy potato crust that gives them a satisfying crunch, while the lemon butter sauce offers a bright flavor. The steaks are pan-fried until they are golden brown on the outside and cooked through on the inside.
Ingredients include: Squid steak, egg, potato flakes, salt, and olive oil.
These calamari steaks are grilled until they are tender and slightly charred, and are served with a summer salsa made from seasonal ingredients. Add other ingredients to the salsa, such as cherry tomatoes, corn, and kalamata olives.
Ingredients include: Cherry tomatoes, corn, Kalamata olives, garlic cloves, and basil.
This recipe for pan-fried calamari with rich chili jelly is ideal for a light lunch or dinner. The chili jelly adds a sweet and spicy kick to the calamari, and the dish has endless possibilities when it comes to variations.
Ingredients include: Red cayenne, cherry tomatoes, red onion, ground paprika, and fish sauce.
Instead of poblano peppers, this recipe uses calamari steaks pounded thin and stuffed with pepper jack cheese. The seafood is coated in batter and then fried until golden brown.
Ingredients include: All-purpose flour, bread crumbs, eggs, butter, and pickled jalapeños rings.
What To Serve With Calamari Steaks
Here are some of the best sides that you can serve with your calamari steak recipes:
- Garlic bread. A classic choice that complements the flavors of calamari with its savory garlic and buttery goodness.
- French fries. Crispy and salted fries go well with calamari, offering a satisfying contrast in textures.
- Coleslaw. A refreshing coleslaw with a tangy dressing can provide a nice balance to the richness of calamari.
- Caprese salad. A light and fresh salad made with tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, basil, and balsamic glaze.
- Roasted vegetables. Roasted veggies like bell peppers, zucchini, and cherry tomatoes add a colorful and healthy touch to the meal.
- Mashed potatoes. Creamy mashed potatoes can be a comforting side that complements the calamari’s flavor.
- Corn on the cob. Grilled or boiled corn on the cob brings a touch of sweetness and texture to the meal.
- Spinach salad. A leafy spinach salad with feta cheese, nuts, and a vinaigrette dressing can add a nutritious element to the plate.
- Rice pilaf. A flavorful rice pilaf, either with herbs or mixed with vegetables, pairs well with calamari.
- Greek salad. A Mediterranean-inspired salad with cucumbers, tomatoes, red onions, olives, and feta cheese, drizzled with olive oil and lemon juice.
The bottom line
Calamari steak is a hidden treasure within the culinary world, awaiting its chance to shine. With its delicate flavor, versatile nature, and captivating texture, it has all the qualities that define an exceptional ingredient.
If you’re new to cooking calamari steak recipes or simply looking for new ways to enjoy it, consider this list of delicious dishes. From simple pan-frying to more complex preparations, there’s sure to be something here for everyone.
More About Calamari
- Pan Fried Calamari Steaks With Charred Lemon
- Calamari Steak In Thai Red Curry Sauce
- Calamari Piccata & Roasted Asparagus
- Grilled Calamari Steaks
- Grilled Calamari Steaks With Mediterranean Salsa
- Lemon Caper Calamari Steaks
- Calamari Steak In Lemon Butter
- Spicy Sweet Calamari Steak Salad
- Grilled Calamari Steak Over Polenta
- Breaded Calamari
- Calamari Steak Katsu
- Skillet Calamari Steak
- Lime & Sweet Chili Grilled Calamari Steaks
- Seared Calamari Steak With Bloody Mary Sauce
- Potato Crusted Squid Steaks
- Calamari Steaks With Summer Salsa
- Pan-Fried Calamari With Rich Chili Jelly
- Calamari Chile Relleno
- Check our Calamari Steak Recipes list.
- Select a dish.
- Cook to your heart's content!
- Don't forget to share this list of meal inspiration!