Are you ready for some delicious cheesy breakfast potatoes? Shredded parmesan cheese mixed with red bell pepper and red onion makes these stovetop breakfast potatoes so darn tasty.
Fair warning on this recipe is simple to make, but the ingredients list is a bit long. Yes, we like spices. So don’t let a first glance fool you. Cook time is 15 minutes, and prep time for this one is 15 minutes as well.
To speed up the process, we pre-cook the potatoes in the microwave. If you prefer, you can boil them in a saucepan, but we love making things easy in our house. If we find a shortcut that will save time, we are always going to share it with you.
Cheesy breakfast potatoes? Shredded parmesan cheese mixed with red bell pepper and red onion makes these stovetop breakfast potatoes so darn tasty.
- 3 large baking potatoes
- 1 T. water
- 1 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- ½ medium red onion
- ½ t. garlic powder
- ½ t. dried parsley
- ½ t. dried rosemary
- ½ t. Paprika
- ¼ t Cinnamon
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- ½ c. Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Prep the ingredients – Wash and dry the potatoes and red bell pepper. Dice the potatoes into small pieces. Dice the bell pepper and red onion.
- Cook the potatoes – Add potatoes to a microwave-safe dish and cover potatoes with water.
- Microwave on high for 3-4 minutes. The potatoes should begin to become tender but not mushy. Do not overcook the potatoes.
- Cook the peppers and onions – While the potatoes cook, place an iron skillet on medium-high heat and add olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add red pepper and onion and sprinkle with garlic powder, parsley, rosemary, and smoked paprika. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine.
- Stir the mixture frequently until the peppers and onions are soft, and their color is getting deeper.
- Add the potatoes – Drain the potatoes from the container. Pat the potatoes dry using paper towels. Add the dry potatoes to the skillet. Cook, occasionally stirring until the potatoes are golden brown and crispy. It should take about 6 to 7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle freshly grated Parmesan cheese on top of the warm potatoes.
- Cover just until the cheese melts and serve immediately. Enjoy!
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Can you reheat breakfast potatoes
Yes, you can reheat breakfast potatoes. The critical factor to being safe with leftover breakfast potatoes is in how you stored them before reheating. Cooked potatoes shouldn’t be left out at room temperature for too long after cooking. The best tip is to serve everyone their breakfast potatoes and then immediately put the remaining potatoes in a container with a lid and put them in the fridge.
How do I store breakfast potatoes?
The best way to store breakfast potatoes is to cook them entirely and then place them in an airtight container. Put that container in the back of your fridge so that those potatoes are cold. They should keep nicely for about three days.
Can you freeze breakfast potatoes?
Yes, you can freeze breakfast potatoes. To freeze them, cook them and allow them to cool. Once they are cooled, put them in a freezer bag and squeeze all of the air out of the bag and then seal it. Breakfast potatoes will last three months in the freezer.
A few tips on how to make crispy breakfast potatoes
- Cut up your potatoes in advance and immediately put them in a bowl of fresh water. Allowing them to soak like this removes some of the starch. Starchy potatoes lead to soggy potatoes.
- Cook the potatoes in a cast-iron skillet. Non-stick skillets are handy, but in this instance, it will make getting those crispy potatoes more difficult.
- Dry your potatoes before frying them. The drier your potatoes are when you put them in a hot skillet, the crispier they will turn out.