Brownies are one of the gloriously indulgent desserts that I am grateful for. It appears that the first time that chocolate brownies hit the cooking scene was way back in 1899.
Clearly, we have been loving those fudgy, rich chocolate squares for a long, long time.
So the question became how to make box brownies better.
Since I love rocky road ice cream, why not incorporate that love into a brownie?!
It turns out that it was an AH-mazing idea.
Check out these articles:
- How to Soften Butter: 4 Quick and Easy Ways
- How to Make Walnut Butter: The Ultimate Recipe
- How to Make Buttermilk – Best Recipes You Should Try in Your Kitchen
What are rocky road brownies?
Rocky road brownies are brownies topped with a gooey layer of chocolate chips, coconut, mini marshmallows, and chopped pecans.
What makes these brownies no fuss?
While making brownies from scratch is a beautiful thing for those folks that have a gourmet kitchen and a lot of time, we made these fantastically gooey brownies using a box mix.
We love the high-quality Ghirardelli brownie mix. This brand has turned out flawless for us every time (as long as we don’t overbake them).
- Mixing bowl
- 11 x 7 or 8 x 8 or 9 x 9 Brownie pan (we like Pyrex because I am careless with my knife when I am ready to dig in and glass won’t scratch)
- Rubber spatula
- Wooden spoon or hand mixer (I’ve had the same Hamilton Beach handmixer something like this one for THIRTY years, so we recommend this brand)
- Cooking spray
Tips for making rocky road brownies:
- It may take more than 5 minutes to melt the brownie toppings. Feel free to adjust the oven temp to 400 degrees and increase the cook time.
- Broiling requires constant attention. If you aren’t careful the marshmallows will go from perfectly browned to burnt and smoking in a matter of seconds. When I broil, I leave the oven door slightly open and watch the food the entire time.
- This recipe is very rich and sweet. If you have a brownie mix that already includes chocolate chips, you may not want to add the chocolate chips to the top.
- If you want to kick the flavor up a notch, consider toasting the coconut.
For the brownies:
- 1 brownie mix (Eggs, water, and oil as directed on the box)
For the topping:
- 1 c semisweet dark chocolate chips
- 1 c mini marshmallows
- 1 c pecans
- ½ c shredded coconut
- Coat a 9 x 9 baking pan with cooking spray.
- Prepare and bake brownies according to the mix instructions on the box.
- While the brownies bake, loosely chop the pecans or pulse them once or twice in a food processor.
- When the brownies are done, remove them from the oven but leave the oven on.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips, marshmallows, pecans and coconut over the top of the brownies.
- Return to the oven for 5 minutes.
- Then turn the oven to broil. Allow it to heat up. Broil for 1 minute to brown the marshmallows.Note: Watch carefully during the broiling process.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 175Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 23mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 2gSugar: 11gProtein: 2g