Want all the flavor of a piña colada without the work of a frozen drink? This Banana Rum Cocktail is the right one for you! 🍍
With lush banana rum, tangy and sweet pineapple juice, and cream of coconut, this layered banana rum punch is a knockout of tropical flavor.
We’ll show you how to layer in the grenadine to make a layered drink you’ll be dying to show off on facebook or insta.
There are a lot of ways to mix up this delightful drink.
If you don’t have Blue Chair banana rum on hand, use light rum or dark rum and banana liqueur.
Or try it with pineapple rum or coconut rum, and of course Bacardí Banana Rum is very popular!
Before you know it, you’ll mix up one of your very own tropical drinks in a flash.
We used cans of pineapple juice that included orange juice, and it was still 100% delicious, plus a handful of ice cubes kept the drink nice and cold.
Add an extra jigger of orange juice, a squeeze of lime, fresh banana, orange wedges, muddled pineapple—garnish and mix up your own recipe to taste!
Tropical drinks have a place year-round in our cocktail recipes, and if you want to add a little perfect summer cocktail to your dreary cold day, this is the one for you.
We have a pretty weighty liquor cabinet, so we have all kinds of orange liqueur, white rum and such sitting around, so we are always thinking up something new.
If you don’t want the mess of blender drinks right now, this fruity beverage is life.
This is a recipe for an alcoholic beverage. If you did not mean to be here, it’s okay to close this tab, just for today.
- We used the jigger to layer in the grenadine but a shot glass or even a measuring cup with a spout will do. The trick is to go in from the side of the glass and dribble it in very slowly.
- Important note about the cream of coconut: This is not the same as “Coconut Cream” that you’ll find next to the Coconut Milk in the Asian/Thai foods aisle. Cream of Coconut or Creme de Coco or Coco Lopez, is a very sweet, thick coconut condiment used mostly in mixed drinks and sometimes desserts. If you use coconut cream, it will not be sweet enough or have enough coconut flavor for this drink.
- Don’t make these drinks too far in advance of serving, since the ingredients will eventually muddle together and they will lose their vibrant gradient appearance.
- The garnish reaaaalllly adds to this drink; not just for how adorable it is, but it creates an additional pop of flavor that I love. Garnish is usually optional, but wow, what a boost these fresh fruits give to the layers of alcohol! I highly recommend not skimping on these, especially if you are serving these at a gathering.
- I had no problem adding extra cream of coconut to my drink, because I love it so much. We offer up the base recipe, and we say make this as tropical with your favorite flavors as you want.
Supplies to gather
- Cocktail Measuring Glass
- Cocktail Shaker
- Cocktail Shaker Strainer
- Highball Glass
- Cutting Board
- Cocktail Picks
– Banana Rum
– Pineapple Juice
– Cream of Coconut
– Maraschino Cherries
– Pineapple Chunks
Steps to make this Banana Rum Cocktail
Step 1: Gather ingredients.
Step 2: Combine rum, pineapple juice, and cream of coconut. Cover and shake.
Step 3: Pour from cocktail shaker into highball glass.
Step 4: Use a jigger or shot glass to gently and slowly pour the grenadine against the inside edge of the highball glass.
Step 5: Lay the pick with garnish across the top of the glass.
The bottom line
What a delicious cocktail this is!
The right balance of sweet and tangy, fruity and still rich.
The garnish of ripe banana is -chef’s kiss-
We had banana rum sitting around so we added the rest of the tropical flavors to recreate our love for all things banana flavor.
The garnish made this cute for company, so if this is meant to share, I’d recommend cutting up some banana slices and skewering chunks of pineapple on some cocktail picks.
We offer the ingredients and instructions for one drink at a time, so you don’t have to do any math to double or triple the servings—you can just start over for each drink.
One lime, one whole banana, and one fresh pineapple ring can garnish six drinks or more.
- 2 oz Banana Rum
- 2 oz Pineapple Juice
- 2 T Cream of Coconut
- ½ oz Grenadine
- 1 Jar Maraschino Cherries
- 1 Pineapple Chunks
- 1 Lime
- 1 Banana
- For the garnish, cut the pineapple and lime into chunks and the banana into wheel slices. Set aside.
- Fill the cocktail shaker halfway with ice.
- Add ice to highball glass.
- Add the rum, pineapple juice, and coconut cream to the shaker.
- Place the lid on the shaker and shake vigorously for 30 seconds.
- Strain into a highball glass.
- Carefully and gently pour in the grenadine on the inside edge of the glass to create that layered gradient effect. (See photo.)
- With a cocktail pick, gently pierce 1 maraschino cherry, 1 pineapple chunk, 1 lime chunk, and 1 banana wheel slice through the side. (See photos.)
- Place the garnish across the top of the cocktail glass.
- Enjoy and remember to drink responsibly.
When it sits too long, the cocktail ingredients start to muddle and you’ll lose your pretty layers.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Paksh Novelty Italian Highball Glasses [Set of 6] Clear Heavy Base Tall Bar Glass - Drinking Glasses for Water, Juice, Beer, Wine, Whiskey, and Cocktails | 13-Ounce Cups
Mixology Bartender Kit: 10-Piece Bar Set Cocktail Shaker Set with Stylish Mahogany Stand | Perfect Home Bartending Kit with Bar Tools and Martini Shaker for Foolproof Drink Mixing (Copper)
Kolder Mix N Measure Glass, Multi-Purpose Liquid and Dry Measuring Cup, 6 Units of Measurement, Heavy Glass, Red