Whenever we’re in line at Starbucks around the holidays and we have no idea what we want to drink, we always fall back to a beloved classic: their peppermint mocha.
Whether hot or cold, this delicious drink always hits the spot.
Every now and again, though, we find that the Starbucks version is just a little bit too sweet and it becomes sickly and sticky to drink.
So, when we’re craving peppermint mocha but want to cut down on the sugar, we whip up a batch of this easy copycat peppermint mocha at home.
Yep, you can make your own peppermint mocha at home!
This delicious drink brings together all the great flavors of coffee, chocolate, and peppermint to make a beverage that will blow your mind.
Table Of Contents
- Why do you need to steam milk for a latte?
- What kind of milk should I use in a latte?
- Can I make steamed milk without an espresso machine?
- Our CookingChew Cooking Tip:
- Starbucks Peppermint Mocha Copycat
- Starbucks Peppermint Mocha Latte (Copycat)
- Feeling a bit Naughty?
Why do you need to steam milk for a latte?
There are two reasons why you steam milk before adding it to a latte.
First, steaming milk stabilizes the proteins in the milk, allowing the milk to trap the steam and double up in volume.
That’s how you get that fluffy, airy milk that baristas add into your latte to make their awesome latte art.
Second, the steaming process brings out the natural sweetness and creaminess of the milk so that it stands out in your drink better.
What kind of milk should I use in a latte?
To get legitimate fluffy consistency of steamed milk that you would find in a coffee shop, you need to use non-fat or 2% milk.
You won’t get the same effect if you steam whole milk, half and half, or even heavy cream.
If you want a non-dairy option, you can also opt for soymilk or almond milk. They will also have the same effect if steamed.
Can I make steamed milk without an espresso machine?
Yes, you can make steamed milk without an espresso machine! All you need is a saucepan and a thermometer. You need to use your stovetop so that you can control the temperature of the milk while it is being heated.
- Place the milk in saucepan and put saucepan on your stovetop.
- Put thermometer in milk. Keep an eye on the thermometer as milk can burn or scald easily!
- Heat milk on low, stirring milk occasionally to keep it from boiling.
- Once milk has reached appropriate temperature (around 150⁰F), remove saucepan immediately from heat and pour directly into your coffee.
Our CookingChew Cooking Tip:
- You can make both the (mocha syrup)[insert link] and the peppermint syrup ahead of time so that you can simply assemble the drink when you want to serve it.
Starbucks Peppermint Mocha Copycat
When it comes to their holiday drinks, the most popular and lasting drink Starbucks has to offer is their peppermint mocha drink, and for good reason!
It’s a delicious blend of rich chocolate, spicy peppermint, and strong coffee that will power you through the holidays.
If you hate standing in line at Starbucks, try this great copycat recipe to make your own peppermint mocha at home.
- ¾ c. extra strong coffee
- 1 ½ T. peppermint syrup
- 1 ½ T. mocha syrup
- 1 ½ c. milk
- whipped cream
- dash of cinnamon
- dash of nutmeg
- To make extra strong coffee, brew coffee with double the amount of grounds to the normal amount of water.
- While coffee is brewing, create steamed milk for latte by warming milk in saucepan.
- After coffee has finished brewing, pour ¾ c. of coffee into large coffee mug.
- Slowly pour steamed milk into coffee mug.
- Top with whipped cream.
- Add cinnamon and nutmeg on top.
- 7. Serve and enjoy!
- Coffee maker
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 665Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 307mgCarbohydrates: 138gFiber: 0gSugar: 71gProtein: 14g
Feeling a bit Naughty?
During the holidays, it’s the time to be a bit more indulgent with your drinks than usual. Add some crushed candy canes, dark chocolate shavings, or semi-sweet chocolate chips on top of your drink to make it just a little bit more sinful.
C’mon, it’s the holidays!
Whether you love it hot or cold, this delicious peppermint mocha latte is a great companion during the holiday rush.