Here are the best Yukon Gold potato recipes, along with helpful cooking tips, recommended substitutions, our top picks, and the best places to buy Yukons!
Yukon Gold potatoes have captured the hearts of food enthusiasts and chefs alike.
The name “Yukon Gold” is a nod to the Yukon River and gold rush country in Northern Canada, where it was developed.
They feature a rich, buttery flavor and have a medium-starch content.
When cooked, these potatoes offer a creamy, velvety smooth texture that’s ideal for mashed potatoes or au gratin dishes.
Yukon Golds also hold their shape well during cooking, making them excellent for roasting, grilling, or in stews and potato salads. Their tender skin is thin and edible, adding a slight crunch when roasted.
Yukon Gold potatoes are undeniably versatile; if you still need convincing, check out this roundup of the best Yukon Gold potato recipes.
Everything you need is right here, from the classic mashed potatoes to the hearty baked potato soup—and even cinnamon rolls!
- Grocery stores. Many grocery stores carry Yukon Gold potatoes, including Kroger, Safeway, and Trader Joe’s. You can usually find them in the produce section.
- Farmers’ markets. You can often find Yukon Gold potatoes from local growers who have just harvested them.
- Online retailers. You can also find Yukon Gold potatoes online from Amazon and sometimes Walmart.
Top 10 Recipe Picks
No time to browse? Here are our top 10 recipes that highlight Yukon Gold potatoes’ versatility and flavor:
- If you’re looking for a healthier option than traditional deep-fried french fries, look no further than #14 Air Fryer Garlic Parmesan French Fries.
- #9 Greek Lemon Potatoes only call for a few simple ingredients.
- Made in just a few minutes, #22 Broccoli & Potato Casserole is ideal for a weeknight meal or a weekend brunch.
- #23 Gruyere & Thyme Stacked Potatoes are crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside, and the cheese is melted and gooey.
- Our #28 Air Fryer Hasselback Potatoes look chef-created, yet they are simple, even for the newbie home cook.
- Take your traditional latkes to another level with #13 Herbed Yukon Gold Potato Latkes.
- Behold, the stunning #16 Sweet Potato & Yukon Gold Bake!
- #21 Yukon Gold Cinnamon Rolls have a rich, satisfying sweet glaze.
- #25 Irish Potato Cakes (Potato Farls) have a warm, hearty element.
- #31 Two Layered Potatoes combine two unexpected ingredients: Yukons and sweet potatoes.
Best Yukon Gold Potato Recipes
When it comes to Yukon Gold potato recipes, I have to start with the gold standard of mashed potatoes! It’s got cream cheese, sour cream, whole milk, garlic, and butter!
A beautiful, simple plate of golden potatoes.
Yukon potatoes and sweet potatoes are sliced and layered in this scalloped potato recipe. There’s also heavy cream, butter, and cheese with fresh herbs. It may just be your next big hit.
Finger-friendly yellow potato recipes like these wedges are a wonderful addition to your recipe collection. Wash them well and slice them into wedges. Oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and sea salt will do all the heavy lifting.
This golden potato recipe will help you get dinner on the table. Chicken thighs, Yukon Gold potatoes, and green beans slow-cooked for four to five hours in a savory herb sauce.
As you know, Yukon potatoes are bright yellow inside so serving them up smashed adds a lovely splash of color to your dinner plate! Here olive oil, garlic, and parmesan season them beautifully. The two steps of boiling and roasting will leave them nice and crisp.
When you want bite-sized golden potatoes for your side dish, this recipe calling for diced potatoes gets things started off right! Then they are coated with a mixture of oil, garlic, salt, and pepper. Then after baking, another mixture of melted butter, lemon juice, zest, and fresh dill is added along with parmesan cheese!
Here the yellow potatoes and sweet potatoes are combined to make a colorful side dish in bite-sized proportions. This gives you the best of both potato worlds! Before baking, season with olive oil, garlic, rosemary, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
For a switch up on what to do with Yukon Gold potatoes, this Greek lemon recipe is bright and delicious. Cut the potatoes in half and coat with a mixture of lemon juice, olive oil, mustard, garlic oregano, and salt. Bake then add some chicken broth for the rest of the baking time.
Yukon Gold potato recipes offer lots of creative freedom with these suggested ingredients of onion, pickles, boiled eggs, celery, mayo, mustard, salt, and pepper.
Here’s a recipe from French chef Jacques Pepin, a food artiste. Many gold potato recipes cook the potatoes by baking or roasting, but here, butter and chicken stock are the secret sauce.
Gotta love a Yukon Gold potatoes recipe cooked easily on a sheet pan. Potatoes, peppers, onion, and kielbasa are diced to similar sizes, coated in oil and seasonings, and baked until crispy. Spreading it all out in a single layer is key.
Good Substitutes for Yukon Gold Potatoes
If you cannot find Yukon Gold Potatoes in your local grocery store or farmers’ market, here are some recommended substitutes:
- Russet Potatoes: This is a great all-purpose potato with a fluffy texture when baked or mashed, and it’s often used for frying.
- Red Gold Potatoes: These are ideal for boiling and roasting due to their smooth, creamy texture, and their skin adds color to dishes.
- Kennebec Potatoes: Known for their high yield and storage quality, Kennebecs have a slightly nutty flavor.
- White Potatoes: With a dense texture and mild flavor, these potatoes can be used for boiling, mashing, roasting, and in soups.
- Yellow Finn Potatoes: These potatoes offer a buttery flavor and are suitable for boiling, mashing, roasting, and making fries.
Yukon Gold potatoes are shredded and formed into latkes. The potato mixture is made with eggs, matzo meal, herbs, salt, and pepper then pan fried. Serve with smoked salmon, sour cream, or capers.
Savory french fries coming at you in this golden potatoes recipe! Air fry and then toss the fries in the garlic parmesan mixture for well-seasoned fries good on their own or dipped into your favorite sauce.
15. Melting Potatoes
Here the potatoes are peeled, sliced, coated in a seasoned butter mixture, and baked in a single layer in the oven. In the last fifteen minutes, chicken broth is added. They literally melt in your mouth!
Talk about stealing the show!! These stunning golden potatoes, orange sweet potatoes, and purple sweet potatoes are all cut into circles and arranged in an alternating pattern around the dish. Carmelized onions are on the bottom and the top is brushed with butter, salt, and pepper. They are then covered with foil and baked. Simple and stylish!
A different collection of spices in this recipe for yellow potatoes gives this dish a Spanish flare. Garlic, paprika, and cayenne pepper are added between the parboiling and baking. Instructions are given to make a tomatillo salsa or you can serve with your favorite salsa.
Yukon Gold potatoes make tender, crisp potato pancakes. Grate potatoes and mix with an egg, flour, lemon juice, salt, and pepper and drop by spoonfuls into oil to fry. Top with sour cream, red onion, and caviar.
Cheesy potato chicken soup is a fantastic recipe on this Yukon Gold potato list! And made in the Instant Pot so it could be ready in as little as thirty-five minutes.
Making twice-baked potatoes out of baby Yukon Golds. Baking them up, scooping them out, mixing them up with fabulous add-ins, and refilling them. Adorable and addictive.
Yum, cinnamon rolls with potatoes? Yep. These potatoes are part of the base mixture and make the dough soft and easy to work with. There are amazing pictures and full explanations for each step.
Tips on Cooking Yukon Gold Potatoes
Yukon Gold potatoes feature a mild flavor that makes them a good choice for steaming, boiling, roasting, and mashing. Here are some tips for how to cook Yukon Gold potatoes:
- Choose the right potatoes. Yukon Gold potatoes are typically medium-sized and have smooth, golden skin. Avoid using potatoes with too many eyes, a bright green tint, or are soft.
- Peel or leave the skin on. The skin on Yukon Gold potatoes is thin and flavorful, so you can leave it on if you like.
- Cut the potatoes into the desired shape. Yukon Gold potatoes can be cooked whole, halved, quartered, or sliced.
- Cook the potatoes until tender. The cooking time for Yukon Gold potatoes will vary depending on the cooking method. Use a fork to test for doneness.
- Season the potatoes to taste. Yukon Gold potatoes can be seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika.
This dish revolves around three key ingredients. It blends together really nicely, creating a comforting, hearty, and cheesy dish.
Ingredients include: Broccoli florets, cheddar cheese, cheese, and cornflakes.
This dish is not only elegant and unique, but also surprisingly easy to prepare. The ingredients are simple, too, yet deliver an impressive result.
Ingredients include: Gruyere cheese, parmesan cheese, thyme, garlic, and butter.
Summer Vegetable Stew recipe is a plant-based dish that’s packed with aromatic vegetables and yellow potatoes. The vegetables and herbs used are interchangeable according to your taste or what is on hand.
Ingredients include: Leek, cabbage, red pepper, tomatoes, and potatoes.
Shaped into perfect triangles, these cakes are fried to achieve a crispy exterior that encases a creamy interior. Be wary of overmixing the batter, as it could lead to denser, less desirable cakes.
Ingredients include: All purpose flour, potatoes, salt, black pepper, and butter.
The simple Chili Tornado Potatoes are made from swirled and baked Yukon Gold potatoes with a blend of spices. The unique spiral cut enables the seasonings to permeate deeply, yielding a crispy texture.
Ingredients include: Yukon gold potatoes, butter, black pepper, cumin, and cilantro.
This Yukon Gold Japanese Potato Salad strikes an intriguing balance between creamy, acidic, and sweet flavors. The recipe can be customized to your liking, too.
Ingredients include: Cucumber, carrot, rice vinegar, egg, and ham.
Air Fryer Hasselback Potatoes are an easier way to make this classic dish. The seasoned Yukon gold potatoes are cooked in an air fryer until golden brown and crispy.
Ingredients include: Russet potatoes, butter, garlic, parmesan cheese, and ground pepper.
This Pan-Fried Potatoes & Onions is a simple side dish that can be made in just a few minutes. The cooking process involves melting butter in a skillet, browning the potato slices, and adding the onion until softened.
Ingredients include: Yellow onions, butter, garlic cloves, parsley, and Yukon gold potatoes.
This Yukon Gold baked potato soup is a beloved classic. It’s an effortless weeknight comfort food that can be prepared in no time.
Ingredients include: Bacon, butter, cheddar cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, and broth.
This dish marries the distinct flavors of Yukon and sweet potatoes. It involves par-cooking and complex timing, but the key to success is reheating for a crisp finish.
Ingredients include: Yukon potatoes, sweet potatoes, half & half, manchego cheese, and gouda cheese.
The bottom line
Yukon Gold potatoes are a versatile ingredient that adds a creamy, buttery touch to any dish.
From hearty soups to crispy roasted delights, the Yukon Gold Potato recipes showcased here demonstrate their incredible versatility.
And whether you’re a beginner or a seasoned chef, these dishes offer something for everyone.
Just ensure to choose firm potatoes with a golden hue and experiment with herbs and spices to enhance their flavor.
More About Yukon Gold Potatoes
- The Best Yukon Gold Mashed Potatoes
- Oven Roasted Potatoes
- Scalloped Yukon Gold And Sweet Potato GratinWith Fresh Herbs
- Crispy Baked Yukon Gold Potato Wedges
- Slow Cooker Full Chicken Dinner
- Crispy Garlic Smashed Potatoes
- Parmesan Roasted Yukon Gold Potatoes
- Roasted Yukon Gold Potatoes And Sweet Potatoes
- Greek Lemon Potatoes
- Easy Yukon Gold Potato Salad
- Yukon Gold Potatoes - Jacques Pepin Style
- Sheet Pan Kielbasa And Yukon Gold Potato Hash
- Herbed Yukon Gold Potato Latkes
- Air Fryer Garlic Parmesan French Fries
- Melting Potatoes
- Sweet Potato And Yukon Gold Bake
- Roasted Yukon Gold Potatoes With Tomatillo Salsa
- American Caviar With Crispy Yukon Gold Potato Pancakes
- Cheesy Potato Chicken Instant Pot Soup
- Tiny Twice-Baked Potatoes
- Yukon Gold Cinnamon Rolls With Perfect Icing
- Broccoli & Potato Casserole
- Gruyere & Thyme Stacked Potatoes
- Summer Vegetable Stew
- Irish Potato Cakes (Potato Farls)
- Chili Tornado Potatoes
- Japanese Potato Salad With Yukon Gold Potatoes
- Air Fryer Hasselback Potatoes
- Pan Fried Potatoes & Onions-Lyonnaise Potatoes
- Yukon Gold Baked Potato Soup
- Two Layered Potatoes
- Find your favorite recipe from our Yukon Gold Potato Recipes list.
- Gather all the ingredients needed.
- If you love it, don't forget to share where you got it!