This taco soup recipe is so easy to make. You can make it all in one large skillet. You brown the ground beef and then let the soup simmer for 30 minutes. With a soup recipe that easy, you will be making this dinner recipe over and over again.
Taco soup is what it sounds like, a soup made out of the ingredients of a taco. It is all of the ingredients of a taco but in a soup instead of a taco shell. This recipe is one of the kitchen sink recipes that I tend to make when I am tired or didn’t plan ahead for dinner.
Sometimes though, a soup is just comforting. It doesn’t have to be cold out for me to crave soup. When I have a craving for soup and just have ground beef, this is the best possible recipe.
Table Of Contents
Other meat for taco soup?
While we do traditionally use ground beef in our taco soup recipe, you can substitute other types of meat. You could use ground turkey or even ground pork in this recipe if you prefer.
Tips for making taco soup
- If you like to add spice to your dishes, dice up some jalapeno and cook it with the ground beef.
- Consider adding the juice of a lime to the pan when you add in all of the other ingredients. It will simmer and add additional flavor.
- I don’t drain the green chiles in this recipe but if you are worried about too much spice, drain the chiles.
- We make homemade taco seasoning, but you can also buy any brand from the store that you prefer.
- Some people like to add some ranch seasoning to their soup. If you would like to try this, just add one tablespoon along with all of the other ingredients.
How to make taco soup
Step 1: Prep the ingredients. Drain the black beans and the corn. Dice the onion and bell pepper.
Step 2: Brown the ground beef. Halfway through browning the beef, add in the diced onion and continue to cook.
Step 3: Add in all of the soup ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes.
Step 4: While the soup is simmering, prep all of the garnish ingredients by grating the cheese, dicing the avocado, and chopping the cilantro.
- 1 lb ground beef
- Olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1 4 oz can green chiles
- 1 1/2 c chicken stock
- 1 14 oz can stewed tomatoes
- 2 T taco seasoning
- 1 14 oz can black beans
- 1 15 oz can whole corn kernels
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 t minced garlic
- Sour cream
- 1 avocado
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 2 limes
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Finely dice the yellow onion and bell pepper and set aside.
- Drain the black beans and corn.
- Heat a large skillet with high sides over medium heat and add a drizzle of olive oil. Brown the ground beef using a wooden spoon to break it up and stir it as it browns.
- When the beef starts to brown, add in the diced onion.
- Drain any grease from the cooked ground beef.
- Return the pan to the heat and lower to a simmer.
- Add in all of the remaining ingredients, not garnish ingredients, stir.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- While the soup is simmering, dice the avocado, mince the cilantro, and cut the limes into wedges.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream, diced avocado, cheddar cheese, and cilantro on top. Squeeze lime wedges atop that.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 576Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 90mgSodium: 1221mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 13gSugar: 11gProtein: 37g