Yes, you can make lemon cookies with a cake mix. It is such a simple recipe and they taste insanely delicious.
This simple lemon cookie recipe only requires six ingredients.
As a matter of fact, you can even leave out the confectioners’ sugar if you don’t want to use it or don’t have any on hand.
We are big fans of lemon in this house. We buy multiple big containers of lemon juice every single time that we go to Aldi.
One of the first lemon desserts that I ever made was lemon bars, from a box of course.
Now that I think about it, that may be the first dessert that I ever made.
Awe, the memories!
The reason that I recommend chilling cookie dough is because it is just easier to form and handle. If you chill the dough it won’t be so sticky.
Also, according to King Arthur Baking, chilling cookie dough before baking keeps the cookies from spreading too much.
They explain how the fat remains solid longer and how that impacts the spread or lack thereof.
Yes, you can freeze these lemon cookies. Be sure that they are cooled to room temperature before you freeze them. They will last up to four months in the freezer.
- When you place the cookies in the freezer, be sure that they are lying flat.
- Don’t put anything on top of them until they are fully frozen.
- Label the baggie with today’s date and the date four months from now before you put the cookies in the baggie.
1. Cool the cookies to room temperature completely.
2. Place the cookies in a freezer bag.
3. Squeeze as much excess air out of the baggie as possible.
4. Slide the baggie of cookies into the freezer.
About lemon juice and zest
If you don’t have a fresh lemon hand don’t fret. This is exactly why we keep giant bottles of lemon juice in the fridge. Granted, we also drink it in our fizzy water daily as well.
But if you do happen to have a fresh lemon on hand, you can juice half of it to get enough juice for this recipe. This is, of course, all depending on the size and age of your lemon.
Check out our article about juicing a lemon But this is my favorite juicer that I use almost every night. But, I will tell you it is annoying to clean every darn day.
- Rinse the juicer right after you use it.
- Roll the lemon around on the counter a bit before you zest.
- Remember to wash and dry the lemon before you zest it.
- 1 lemon cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 c vegetable oil
- 1 T lemon juice
- 1 t lemon zest
- 1/3 c confectioners' sugar
- Mix the cake mix per the instructions on the box.
- Blend in lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Once the dough is fully combined, place it in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper. Then lightly spray the paper with baking spray.
- Remove dough from the fridge.
- Scoop out about a teaspoon of dough and spoon it on the baking pan. Lightly press the cookies to slightly flatten them.
- Sprinkle the tops of the cookies with confectioners' sugar.
- Bake for 11 minutes or until the cookies are set. Remove them from the oven before they start to brown.
- Transfer them to a cooling rack.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 36 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 80Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 110mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 0gSugar: 7gProtein: 1g