This brown sugar cookie recipe is easy to bake. The special ingredient that makes them tasty is heavy whipping cream.
Today I was roaming around the house looking for dessert. I was craving cookies but didn’t have any at all. Then I had the idea for some brown sugar cookies and here we are. Now, I personally prefer chocolate chip cookies but there is something refreshing about a simple recipe.
These are not just normal sugar cookies. They are heavy on brown sugar so make sure that you have some of that on hand before you get to baking. We do have ideas for brown sugar substitutes if you want to give that a try though.
Tips for making brown sugar cookies
- We didn’t decorate these sugar cookies but you absolutely could. I think some simple icing would be amazing on these. However, don’t forget the sprinkles as an option too.
- If you don’t have a cookie-cutter on hand, you can just roll these into balls. To create balls we recommend using about 1 tablespoon of dough per ball. This could impact baking times slightly so take a peek on how they are baking at about 7 minutes.
- Considering sprinkling coarse sugar on the counter prior to rolling out the dough. Rolling the dough out on the coarse sugar will add an extra bit of flavor and a nice texture to the cookies.
- 2 ½ c all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ t baking powder
- ¼ t salt
- ½ t cinnamon
- 1/c c butter
- 1 egg
- 1 T heavy whipping cream
- 2 ½ t vanilla extract
- 1 c packed brown sugar
- ¼ c sugar
- Soften the butter. Be careful not to melt the butter.
- Add the softened butter, brown sugar, egg, heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla to a large bowl. Beat gently until creamy.
- Slowly add in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Using a mixer gently blend until a dough is formed. If the dough seems to dry add in water 1 teaspoon at a time.
- Cover the bowl and place it in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Roll out the dough to about ⅛” while the oven is preheating.
- Use a cookie cutter to cut out cookies.
- Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray.
- Place the cookies on the cookie sheet. Place them 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 8 to 10 until the cookies are lightly browned.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and allow to cool.
We soften our butter in the microwave but check out our article for more information.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 105Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 19mgSodium: 81mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 0gSugar: 6gProtein: 1g