Making cheese toast in the air fryer is easy to do. It is also a tasty afternoon snack or lunch that’s cheaper and better for you than eating out.
Imagine golden-brown, crisp slices of bread oozing with melty cheese that stretches with every bite. That is how cheese toast should be, and with the air fryer that is what we get.
Grab your apron and gather your ingredients and let’s make some air fryer cheese toast!
🍞What kind of bread to use for cheese toast
I love to make cheese toast on sliced plain white bread, like Sunbeam or Mrs. Baird’s. It is my favorite because it toasts up consistently, and I always know how it will turn out. However, the best answer to this question is that you should use your favorite type of bread.
- Ciabatta bread is a fantastic bread for cheese toast. It has large air pockets and a chewy texture. It will toast up to a crisp crust but the inside stays chewy and soft.
- Brioche is another excellent bread for cheese toast. It is buttery and rich and has a slightly sweet taste to it. It won’t be too dry when you toast it, but it will have a little crunch. When you melt cheese on it, it will taste so good.
- French bread freshly slices are a classic option for cheese toast. The edges of the bread will toast perfectly, and it is hearty enough to handle loads of cheese and any other extra toppings you put on it.
🧀What kind of cheese to use for cheese toast
My favorite cheese for cheese toast is sharp cheddar cheese. I prefer to use Tillamook sharp cheddar cheese blocks and grate it myself.
Freshly grated cheese melts better than pre-packaged grated cheese. However, if I am in a hurry, I will use the grated cheese from a package, and of course, it’s good—it’s still cheese.
The critical thing to consider when picking cheese for cheese toast is to make sure that the cheese is melting cheese. Don’t pick a hard cheese (like asiago) for cheese toast because it won’t melt properly. It will still be tasty, but it won’t have that super melty quality.
Top 6 best kinds of cheese for cheese toast
- Cheddar cheese
- Gouda cheese
- Swiss cheese
- Mozzarella cheese
- Fontina cheese
- Muenster cheese
🧀How much cheese for cheese toast
As a general rule, use ¼ cup of cheese per slice of cheese toast. With that said, the amount that you use will vary depending on the size and thickness of your bread.
✅Why this is a great recipe
- You can make several pieces of cheese toast in the air fryer simultaneously. Now, that number does vary depending on the size of your air fryer. You want the toast to be in a single layer, not stacked on each other.
- Cheese toast is super easy to make, and you could even teach family members to make it as a snack if they get hungry.
- It makes for a filling snack or even a simple lunch.
- You most likely have all of the simple ingredients that you need in the kitchen now.
🍞 Bread. I used plain white bread for my cheese toast. However, you can use any type of bread that you prefer, such as French loaf or Ciabatta.
🧈 Butter. The butter adds to the flavor, helps hold the cheese in place, and helps make the bread crispy. An important tip is to soften the butter before spreading it on the bread.
🧀 Cheese. When it comes to making cheese toast, I always reach for sharp cheddar cheese but you can use any melting cheese that you like. You can also mix and max cheeses to enhance the flavor.
🤔What else can you add to cheese toast?
You can make your cheese toast gourmet by just adding your favorite ingredients that you may have in the fridge already. For example, dice up some fresh avocado and put avocado chunks on it. Consider adding minced garlic to the butter before spreading it on the toast.
- Cooked bacon slices
- Diced ham
- Sliced tomatoes
- Pickled jalapeno slices
- Fried egg
- Pepperoni slices
- Slices of lunchmeat
The bottom line
You can make the best crisp, melty open-faced cheese toast in the air fryer with this simple recipe. Top with anything you like and let it heat up with the cheese, or garnish with fresh vegetables right before serving. Yum!
- 4 slices of bread
- 4 t softened butter
- 1 c shredded cheese, divided
- Soften the butter so that it’s easily spreadable.
- Line the air fryer tray with foil.
- Place the bread slices in the tray or basket in one layer, and put in the air fryer for 3 minutes at 375F.
- Then flip the bread over with tongs or a fork; spread 1 t of butter on the “soft” side of each slice of bread.
- Spread ¼ cup of cheese evenly on top of each slice of bread.
- Place back in the air fryer at 375F for 3 to 5 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.
- Use a spatula to remove the cheese toast to a plate.
- Serve warm.